Download PDF February 22, 2018 Some scientists have hypothesized that tumor-promoting changes in cells during cancer development–particularly an epigenetic change involving DNA methylation–arise from rogue cells escaping a natural cell deterioration process called senescence. Now, researchers at the Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Centerdemonstrated that instead, tumor-associated epigenetic states evolve erratically during early stages of tumor […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Action Points Plasma levels of neurofilament light (NFL) and tau, both biomarkers of neuronal injury, increased after general anesthesia and surgery in 30 older patients, with NFL levels continuing to rise 48 hours after surgery, but tau peaking at 6 hours. Note that while anesthesia and surgery have been considered to act by […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF February 22, 2018 Iron deficiency in the first four weeks of a piglet’s life – equivalent to roughly four months in a human infant – impairs the development of key brain structures, scientists report. The abnormalities remain even after weeks of iron supplementation begun later in life, the researchers found. The discovery, reported […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF February 21, 2018 A new cellular messenger discovered by Weill Cornell Medicine scientists may help reveal how cancer cells co-opt the body’s intercellular delivery service to spread to new locations in the body. In a paper published Feb. 19 in Nature Cell Biology, the scientists show that a cutting-edge technique called asymmetric flow […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF SAN DIEGO, Feb. 14, 2018 /PRNewswire/ — Neurocrine Biosciences, Inc. (NASDAQ: NBIX), a biotechnology company focused on neurological and endocrine related disorders, today announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has provided guidance on the regulatory path forward to support the New Drug Application (NDA) for opicapone, an investigational drug for […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Credit: CC0 Public Domain New CHILD Study research has found that overweight and obese women are more like to have children who are overweight or obese by three years of age—and that bacteria in the gut may be partially to blame. “We know that maternal overweight is linked to overweight in children,” said […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDFSubstance abuse, particularly opioid abuse, is an ongoing issue in the U.S. While treatments such as drug counseling and a handful of medications to combat withdrawal symptoms and cravings exist, the fear and risk of relapsing is real.Continue Reading ...
Download PDF On February 7, 1980, doctors performed the first ESWL lithotripsy treatment on a patient with kidney stones. Many procedures later, the treatment proved so successful, that it revolutionized modern kidney stone management. Based on extensive research pioneered by Dornier MedTech, lithotripsy is now used on 500,000+ kidney stone patients each year.Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Credit: Michael Hickey Monash researchers have solved a mystery, revealing how certain immune cells work together to instigate autoimmune kidney disease. The study, led by Professor Michael Hickey and Professor Richard Kitching from Monash University’s Centre for Inflammatory Diseases, was published in Nature Communications this week. “We’ve known for some time that in […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF February 21, 2018 A new technique that brings magnetic resonance imaging to the nanometer scale with unprecedented resolution will open the door for major advances in understanding new materials, virus particles and proteins that cause diseases like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s. Researchers at the Institute for Quantum Computing at the University of Waterloo used […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF February 23, 2018 Dornier MedTech®, a global medical device company, introduced their latest innovation in laser lithotripsy. Known as the Dornier GentleFlex®, this is a specially-designed ball tip fiber. The Dornier GentleFlex® smooths the passage of the laser fiber through a deflected scope. The Dornier GentleFlex® was revealed at the Annual Congress of […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Action Points Note that this large analysis of French bariatric surgery patients found that, compared with matched controls, the rate of discontinuation of diabetes medications was markedly higher in the bariatric surgery group. While discontinuation of diabetes medication is not necessarily a perfect marker of resolution of the disease, it is nevertheless a […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF February 23, 2018 According to HealthEast’s Kidney Stone Institute, popular myths about the diet and kidney stones aren’t necessarily true. The first? Avoid calcium. Since many kidney stones are made of calcium, it would seem that you should stay away from calcium. Right? Not so. Doctors may treat people with high oxalate (the […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF February 21, 2018 Prophylactic use of the drug haloperidol does not help to prevent delirium in intensive care patients or improve their chances of survival. Therefore, there is no reason anymore to administer the drug as a preventive measure to reduce the burden of delirium. This was revealed following a three-year, large-scale study […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF February 22, 2018 Babies with the rare, deadly genetic disorder Sandhoff disease begin to miss developmental milestones just months after birth. Lacking muscle tone, they never learn to sit up, develop heads too large to lift and eventually suffer uncontrollable seizures. There is no cure. “With excellent supportive care, children can survive until […]Continue Reading ...
- Epigenetic changes due to normal aging process linked to cancer risk
- Biomarkers ID’d for Anesthesia-Related Neural Damage
- Study reveals how kidney disease happens
- Iron deficiency early in life can have long-lasting consequences for the brain
- Research extends powerful capabilities of MRI to nanometer scale
- Scientists show that cutting-edge technique can efficiently sort nano-sized particles
- Dornier’s new laser innovation delivers confidence to glide through deflected scopes
- Neurocrine Biosciences Will File New Drug Application for Opicapone for Parkinson’s Disease Based on Existing Pivotal Clinical Trial Data
- Bariatric Surgery Enabled Stopping Diabetes Meds
- C-sections and gut bacteria increase risk of childhood obesity
- Busting myths about diet and kidney stones
- Reformulating vaccines to prevent relapse
- Prophylactic use of haloperidol does not reduce delirium burden
- Lithotripsy has revolutionized modern kidney stone management
- Researchers describe important step toward gene therapy for patients with Sandhoff disease
- Pain Therapeutics Resubmits New Drug Application for Remoxy ER, an Abuse-Deterrent, Extended-Release Drug Candidate for the Treatment of Chronic Pain
- Combo Therapy Highly Active in Untreated RCC
- Boosting a key protein to help bones that won’t heal
- Advanced method holds promise for substantial improvements in breast cancer diagnosis
- MRI and machine learning could predict whether OCD patients will benefit from treatment