Download PDF News Professional AI Can Identify Model of Cardiac Rhythm Device From Chest X-Ray WEDNESDAY, April 17, 2019 — A neural network can accurately identify the manufacturer and model group of a cardiac rhythm device from a chest radiograph, according to a study published online March 27 in the JACC: Clinical Electrophysiology. James P. […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Credit: stock.adobe.com Yale researchers have developed an innovative way to address an epidemic of anxiety disorders afflicting the nation’s children: treat the parents. A new program developed at Yale that counsels parents is as effective in treating common anxiety disorders as cognitive behavioral therapy for the child, according to a randomized trial of […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Scientists from Lancaster University in the UK have discovered that immune responses originally found to prevent fungal infections are also important in eliminating Trichinella spiralis, a round worm and the causative agent of Trichinosis. People acquire trichinellosis by consuming raw or undercooked meat infected with theTrichinellaparasite, particularly wild game meat or pork. Consumption […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF It is well known that eating healthily helps us to maintain a stable and healthy body weight, as well as improving energy levels and reducing our risk of various diseases. However, for most of us, making healthy dietary choices is easier said than done. So what’s the best way to lose weight and […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Credit: CC0 Public Domain Preschoolers may not be as good at resisting large portions of everyday foods as was previously thought, according to Penn State researchers. In a study, the researchers examined whether children between the ages of three and five were susceptible to the portion size effect—the tendency of people to eat […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Cutting-edge discovery in the lab of Catherine Hunter, MD, from Stanley Manne Children’s Research Institute at Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago offers a new direction toward treatment of necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) – a devastating intestinal emergency that occurs in up to 10 percent of premature infants. NEC is a […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Patients with chronic kidney disease, and dialysis patients especially, have a significantly higher cardiovascular morbidity and mortality than healthy people. Kidney transplantation is the best renal replacement therapy available. Compared to dialysis patients, transplant recipients have significantly better long-term survival and quality of life. Although their cardiovascular risk decreases, cardiovascular complications are still […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Saira Diaz uses her fingers to count the establishments selling fast food and sweets near the South Los Angeles home she shares with her parents and 13-year-old son. “There’s one, two, three, four, five fast-food restaurants,” she says. “And a little mom and pop store that sells snacks and sodas and candy.” In […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF When doctors ask, women scheduled for cesarean sections know in advance whether they will need low, medium or high levels of pain medication, and are happier with their pain-management experience if given a choice about it, a Stanford-led study has found. “It makes sense: You know your body and have had previous pain experiences,” said Brendan […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF A new study led by researchers from the University of California, Irvine finds exercising in the morning, rather than at night, may yield better results. This study, published today in Cell Metabolism, points to daily timing as a critical variable for metabolic benefits from exercise and implications in chronobiology-based exercise therapy for patients […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF News Consumer News Health Tip: Antidepressant Precautions — Before taking an antidepressant, it’s important to take a few factors into consideration, says the American Academy of Family Physicians. The academy suggests: Talk to your doctor about different antidepressant options. Inform your doctor of other medicines, vitamins and supplements you take. Understand that you […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Whether a wound–such as a diabetic foot ulcer–heals or progresses to a worse outcome, including infection or even amputation, may depend on the microbiome within that wound. A new study from the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania found specific strains of the common pathogen Staphylococcus aureus (S. aureus) are […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF A prescribed drug to treat high blood pressure has shown promise against conditions such as Parkinson’s, Huntington’s and forms of dementia in studies carried out in mice and zebrafish at the University of Cambridge. A common feature of these diseases – collectively known as neurodegenerative diseases – is the build-up of misfolded proteins. […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF A customized Cave Automatic Virtual Environment (CAVE) VR system known at the University of Utah as the Treadport. The Treadport is made up of: 1) a six-by-ten foot speed matching treadmill, 2) three eight-by-eight foot rear projection screens, 3) a seven-camera Vicon motion capture system, and 4) a safety harness system. Credit: K. […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF More than a quarter of children with autism spectrum disorder are also diagnosed with disruptive behavior disorders. For the first time, Yale researchers have identified a possible biological cause: a key mechanism that regulates emotion functions differently in the brains of the children who exhibit disruptive behavior. The study appears in Biological Psychiatry: […]Continue Reading ...
- AI Can Identify Model of Cardiac Rhythm Device From Chest X-Ray
- New way to combat childhood anxiety: treat the parents
- Women getting C-sections best judge of own pain medication needs | News Center
- Immune responses that prevent fungal infections may eliminate Trichinella spiralis
- Exercising in the morning, rather than at night, may yield better results, shows study
- Why eating ‘right’ could cause you to stray from your diet
- Health Tip: Antidepressant Precautions – Drugs.com MedNews
- Bigger portions lead to preschoolers eating more over time
- Specific strains of Staphylococcus aureus linked to wounds that do not heal
- Revolutionary discovery paves new way for treatment of necrotizing enterocolitis
- Drug that treats high blood pressure shows promise against neurodegenerative diseases
- More care is needed for patients after kidney transplantations, reports research
- Virtual reality offers benefits for Parkinson’s disease patients
- Liver Illness Strikes Latino Children Like A ‘Silent Tsunami’
- Disruptive behaviors in autistic children linked to reduced brain connectivity
- New insights into how vitamin D affects immune system
- Pfizer Announces Presentation of Data from a Phase 2 Study of its 20-Valent Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine Candidate Being Investigated for the Prevention of Invasive Disease and Pneumonia in Adults Aged 18 Years and Older
- Exercise can improve non-motor symptoms of Parkinson’s disease
- KZFPs play a key role in the regulation of human genome
- Extracts of ginkgo seeds show antibacterial activity on pathogens that cause skin infections