Every morning at Watsonville Community Hospital in Northern California, the labor and delivery team divvies up its patients — low-risk ones go to the midwives and high-risk ones to the physicians. Then, throughout the day, the doctors and midwives work together to ensure the births go smoothly. “We kind of divide and conquer,” said Dr. […]Continue Reading ...
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday unveiled his first state budget, one that leads California down a very different health care path than the one Washington has forged. The progressive blueprint embraces a state health insurance mandate, beefed-up insurance subsidies, coverage for undocumented immigrants and six months of paid parental leave — not unexpected […]Continue Reading ...
[protected-iframe id=”6b3daade46ddc795417ee77cba2bc9c8-7618883-97277977″ info=”https://www.npr.org/player/embed/673765794/681794799″ width=”100%” height=”290″ frameborder=”0″ scrolling=”no”]When Toni and Jim Hoy adopted their son Daniel through the foster care system, he was an affectionate toddler. They did not plan to give him back to the state of Illinois, ever. “Danny was this cute, lovable little blond-haired, blue-eyed baby,” Jim said. Toni recalled times Daniel would […]Continue Reading ...
Democrats on Thursday officially launched their pushback against a December federal court decision that declared the Affordable Care Act unconstitutional. A group of 17 Democratic state attorneys general formally appealed the Dec. 14 decision in Texas v. U.S. issued by U.S. District Judge Reed O’Connor. In the case filed by 18 Republican state attorneys general and […]Continue Reading ...
Reaction is still coming in about last week’s federal court ruling that declared the Affordable Care Act unconstitutional. And nearly final numbers for insurance sign-ups at healthcare.gov were surprisingly brisk despite the elimination of the health law’s tax penalty for not having insurance and a dramatically shrunken budget for outreach and enrollment assistance. The panelists […]Continue Reading ...
[protected-iframe id=”b6fcea170411c4bcde4a7b063a200f1b-7618883-121704370″ info=”https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/556965600&color=%23ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&show_teaser=true” width=”100%” height=”166″ scrolling=”no”] [khn_slabs slabs=”821957″] [khn_slabs slabs=”821984″] [khn_slabs slabs=”839426″] [khn_slabs slabs=”822915″] The new Democratic majority in the House of Representatives took its first steps on health care — voting to intervene in the appeal of a Texas-led lawsuit that found the Affordable Care Act unconstitutional in December. And around the country, Democratic […]Continue Reading ...
With Democrats now in control of the U.S. House of Representatives, it might appear that the fight over abortion rights has become a standoff. After all, abortion-rights supporters within the Democratic caucus will be in a position to block the kind of curbs that Republicans advanced over the past two years when they had control […]Continue Reading ...
[khn_slabs slabs=”828733″] Happy New Year! Welcome to 2019 and the 116th Congress! I hope everyone had a wonderful and restful break, because now the fun (or something in that neighborhood) starts again. Democrats are raring to go now that the new class has been sworn in and Nancy Pelosi has retaken the House gavel. They’re […]Continue Reading ...
- Researchers develop artificial enzymatic pathway for synthesizing isoprenoids in E. coli
- Scientists advise caution in immunotherapy research
- How children across the world develop language
- Columbia Medical Student Receives McDonogh Scholarship
- Secretive ‘Rebate Trap’ Keeps Generic Drugs For Diabetes And Other Ills Out Of Reach
- Plant based diet could be the best option for the planet says commission
- New conservation practice could reduce nitrogen from agricultural drainage, study shows
- UIC researchers receive $1.7 million NCI grant to study Southeast Asian fruit
- New study determines the fate of DNA derived from genetically modified food
- Scientists develop new gene therapy that prevents axon destruction in mice
- Study finds critically low HPV vaccination rates among younger adolescents in the U.S.
- Brain cells involved in memory play key role in reducing future eating behavior
- Risk for Conversion of MS Varies With Different Therapies
- Investigational cream may help patients with inflammatory skin disease
- Medical school news office receives six writing awards | News Center
- County By County, Researchers Link Opioid Deaths To Drugmakers’ Marketing
- Research reveals risk for developing more than one mental health disorder
- Scientists discover a dramatic pattern of bone growth in female mice
- Study finds link between lengthy periods of undisturbed maternal sleep and stillbirths
- New nuclear medicine method could improve detection of primary and metastatic melanoma