Download PDF Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi wished former cricketer and BJP leader Navjot Singh Sidhu a quick recovery after the latter suffered a deep clot, acute deep vein thrombosis, in one of his blood vessels. \”Dear @sherryontopp ji (Navjot Singh Sidhu), get well soon. You are a fighter and will overcome the illness in […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF The Affordable Care Act provides Americans with better health security. States that expanded Medicaid coverage under the Affordable Care Act saw a significant increase in rates of health insurance among low-income adults compared with states that did not expand the program, revealed researchers at UCLA. The study, published in the Peer-Reviewed Annals of Internal […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF When physicians use electronic health records to deliver personalized risk assessments via mail, patients at high risk for cardiovascular disease (CVD) are more likely to receive a prescription for cholesterol-lowering drugs and achieve lower long-term cholesterol levels, finds study. \”It is important to get high priority preventive care messages to patients in a […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Canadian pharmaceutical group Valeant is said to have increased the prices of Nitropress and Isuprel, by 525% and 212%, respectively, after purchasing the drugs. Several Democratic lawmakers in late September 2015 had pressed Valeant to provide documentation explaining the spike in its prices early in 2015 on these two drugs used for cardiac […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Self-stigma or internal stigma (or internalized stigma) is an extremely neglected, yet critical issue. Almost all of the 50 people living with HIV (PLHIV) Stigma Index Reports, from different regions of the world, report high levels of self-stigma, ranging from 20% to 75%, manifesting in feelings of shame, blame, fear and denial. IS […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF A woman and child died of H5N1 bird flu, the Egyptian health ministry announced on Monday. Egyptian health ministry spokesman Hossam Abdel Ghaffar said that the six-year-old child died in Minya province on Monday evening, after a 47-year-old woman succumbed to the disease in Assiut province earlier in the day. Advertisement According to […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Resistant hypertension affects about 1 in 10 people with high blood pressure and a new review article is aimed at helping physicians assess and manage patients with the condition. The review, published in CMAJ (Canadian Medical Association Journal) includes information on emerging therapies for the condition. The authors note that high-quality evidence is […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF For people living with Type 1 diabetes, loss of physical strength due to muscle deterioration is a complication that\’s often overlooked. New research from McMaster University shows it shouldn\’t be. Two recent studies published in Diabetes and Scientific Reports highlight the loss of muscle stem cells early on in the disease; a likely […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF To improve quality, safety, efficiency in health care, a significant part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act was the $25 billion invested in health information technology (IT), while also reducing health disparities. However, nursing homes did not receive the same level of investment in technology as hospitals, leading to little understanding of […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF A new mechanism for a bacterial toxin to inhibit inflammation in a commonly inherited autoinflammatory disease has been discovered by scientists. The study showed that a toxin in Yersinia pestis, which is the bacterial agent of plague, targets and inhibits the protein pyrin. \”This finding is very significant because it may explain the […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Tech developers and authorities must stop sensitive health data entered into applications on mobile phones ending up in the wrong hands, warn experts. As wireless telecom companies gathered in Barcelona this week at the Mobile World Congress, the sector\’s biggest trade fair, specialists in \”e-health\” said healthcare is fast shifting into the connected […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF 21 new Zika cases has brought the total number in Singapore to 381, said authorities. The National Environment Agency (NEA) said that among these newly reported cases, none were reported on Monday. There are now nine Zika clusters in Singapore, as two cases emerged in a new cluster at Hougang Avenue 7 over […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Lung transplantation at high-volume centers have lower transplantation costs, and patients are less likely to be readmitted within 30 days of leaving the hospital following surgery, says a new study. \”The Effect of Transplant Center Volume on Cost and Readmission in Medicare Lung Transplant Recipients\” was published online ahead of print in the […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Lack of testosterone left macaques with periodontal disease, indicated a study that was recently published in the American Journal of Physical Anthropology. Qian Wang, associate professor in biomedical sciences, and Paul Dechow, Regents professor and biomedical sciences chair, analyzed the skeletonized remains of five castrated male rhesus macaques, all of which had died […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF People with higher levels of psychopathic tendencies are more likely to assault their romantic partners. They are even more likely to drink alcohol. The study, which was conducted at UBC\’s Okanagan campus, involved looking at data and police reports involving 700 US civil psychiatric patients in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania as well as 870 students […]Continue Reading ...
- Stanford researchers explore how gut bacteria respond to common changes in habitat
- Household Products May Pollute the Air as Much as Your Car Does: Study
- Combo Bests Targeted Agent in mRCC
- Researchers discover brain pathway that dissociates opioid addiction from analgesia
- Scientists uncover how newly discovered gene helps grow blood vessels
- Brain’s quality control process holds clues to obesity’s roots
- Researchers to study whether menstrual cups can help prevent vaginal infections
- MS patients who feel stigmatized more likely to suffer from depression
- Vitamin D supplementation during pregnancy could protect against childhood obesity
- Lower-Quality Medical Tx Might Have Skewed Key PCI vs CABG Trials
- Love and fear are visible across the brain instead of being restricted to any brain region
- Adults with congenital heart disease have increased risk for dementia, study finds
- Clinical trial studying type 1 diabetes reaches full enrollment
- Father’s stress affects the brain development of offspring, mice study shows
- ESRD Death Declines in Vasculitis Patients
- Taking ibuprofen for long periods found to alter human testicular physiology
- Google AI device could predict a person’s risk of a heart attack
- FDA Approves Domestic Source for Tc-99m Isotopes
- Sanofi rejects refund demand faces Philippine suit over dengue vaccine (Update)
- Researchers discover that activation of specific enzyme may help suppress tumor metastasis