Download PDF Merck’s Once-Daily Zepatier for Hepatitis C Wins Approval Hepatitis C virus (HCV) affects over 3 millions Americans, and may lead to liver impairment, cirrhosis or even liver failure. In January, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the oral treatment Zepatier (elbasvir and grazoprevir) with or without ribavirin for the treatment of […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF SUNDAY, Jan. 29, 2017 — Ice skating is a great source of exercise for the whole family, but injuries could take the fun out of this winter activity. Adhering to several essential safety tips can help prevent ice skating injuries, according to the U.S.-based National Safety Council. The first step is to ensure […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Malnutrition is a condition in which a lack of nutrients in the body causes health problems. This is most often the result of a very poor diet that doesn\’t contain all the vitamins and nutrients needed for the body to function properly. Marasmus is one form of malnutrition. When a person doesn\’t get […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF MHSSPACS is primed to develop a curriculum for a pre-deployment course for military surgeons and wants to ensure our military trauma system stays intact. At the beginning of conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, less than half of the surgeons deployed for the first time had received any type of trauma-specific training beforehand. Most […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Arginine-degrading – enzyme therapy is beneficial for the treatment of cancers lacking the enzyme needed for arginine synthesis (argininosuccinate synthetase 1), according to a new report in The American Journal of Pathology. With few treatment options available to patients with advanced bladder cancer, investigators are looking for novel molecular targets. In a study […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Leading European research groups pool their expertise for the fast development of an effective and affordable vaccine against the Zika virus. Supported with very substantial funding by the EU, the ZIKAVAX consortium consists of Themis, the European Vaccine Initiative, Institut Pasteur and the Commissariat à l\’énergie atomique et aux énergies alternatives. Pivotal to […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Vaccine researchers have developed a strategy aimed at generating broadly cross-reactive antibodies against the influenza virus: embrace the unfamiliar. In recent years, researchers interested in a \”universal flu vaccine\” identified a region of the viral hemagglutinin protein called the stem or stalk, which doesn\’t mutate and change as much as other regions and […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Male hypogonadism is a condition affecting almost a third of the elderly male population. The most common treatment option is testosterone replacement therapy, but the practice can have significant side effects. A new development in stem cell research suggests an alternative treatment for hypogonadism may soon become available. Stem cell research may provide […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Pregnant women commonly develop heartburn, a disorder that involves a burning feeling in the chest. Up to 50 percent of women experience heartburn at some point during pregnancy. Although it can happen at any point during pregnancy, heartburn tends to occur more frequently in the third trimester. Find out more in this article […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Daily infusions with a chemical commonly associated with feelings of happiness were shown to increase calcium levels in the blood of Holstein cows and the milk of Jersey cows that had just given birth. The results, published in the Journal of Endocrinology, could lead to a better understanding of how to improve the […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Critical conditions associated with the blockage of blood vessels are one of the primary health concerns worldwide. The main objective of emergency assistance in such conditions is to effectively implement thrombolysis, i.e. to quickly dissolve the clot. To this end, scientists from ITMO University in cooperation with Mariinsky Hospital in Saint Petersburg have […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF What used to take several weeks is now possible in two days: Thanks to new molecular-based methods, mycobacterial pathogens that cause pulmonary infections or tuberculosis can now be detected much more quickly. Time-consuming bacteria cultures no longer need to be taken from the patient samples, meaning that a suitable therapy can be started […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Scientists in Germany have developed a new approach that may prevent leukemia and lymphoma patients from developing graft-versus-host disease (GvHD) after therapeutic bone marrow transplants. The researchers describe the successful application of their strategy in mice in \”Exogenous TNFR2 activation protects from acute GvHD via host T reg cell expansion,\” which will be […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Stroke rates continue to decline in people 55 and older, while more than doubling in those between 35 and 39, according to new research in Journal of the American Heart Association, the Open Access Journal of the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. \”People, especially those under 50, need to realize that stroke does […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF A period of intense debate about statins, covered widely in the mainstream media, was followed by a substantial rise in the proportion of people in the UK stopping taking the drug, according to a new study by the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine. Led by the London School of Hygiene & […]Continue Reading ...
- New research identifies modifiable dementia risk factor in elderly people
- Zebrafish study uncovers molecular ‘brake’ that helps control eye lens development
- Overlapping copy number variations underlie autism and schizophrenia in Japanese patients
- Majority of Americans’ ancestry can be traced through existing DNA databases
- Patients coerced into mental health care less likely to perceive treatment as effective
- What you need to know about autism spectrum disorder
- Antidepressants can be used to treat Alzheimer’s disease
- Study uncovers important role of PRMT1 in dilated cardiomyopathy
- Nutritional quality of breakfast linked to cardiovascular and metabolic risk factors in children
- Study uses novel approach to investigate genetic origins of mental illnesses
- Scientists develop dual anthrax-plague vaccine
- Poor Outcomes for Hispanic Infants With Congenital Heart Dz
- Global study finds youngest in class more likely to be diagnosed with ADHD
- Researchers sequence two selfish genes in the fungus Neurospora intermedia
- Survey results highlight the need for better communication between patients and HCPs about bacterial vaginosis
- Researchers develop fibrin-targeting immunotherapy to protect against neurodegeneration
- Researchers create open access database on healthy immunity
- Rice University chemist wins big award to study small surfaces
- Study finds 43% drop in stroke rate
- Researchers identify basic relationships of cell cycle and cellular senescence in the placenta