Download PDF The first small molecule targeted therapy for progressive hearing loss has been developed in a mouse model of USH3, an USH classified by progressive loss of hearing and vision starting in the first few decades of life along with variable balance disorder.Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Strokes and heart attacks are rare for women with diabetes who use hormonal contraception, with the safest options being intrauterine devices (IUDs) and under-the-skin implants, new research shows.Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Experiencing discrimination because of their race or health condition can influence just how much trust people put into the health profession. In fact, having these experiences was associated with a 53 percent increase in the chances that someone suffering from sickle cell disease will not follow their doctors\’ orders, says one researcher.Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Umbilical cord blood transplants may have advantages beyond offering an alternative stem cell source for leukemia patients without a traditional donor match, according to a study.Continue Reading ...
Download PDF New findings on differentiation and malignant transformation of B lymphocytes have been revealed by researchers. B lymphocytes represent a subgroup of the white blood cells, whose expansion after infection leads to germinal center formation. Within the germinal center, the \’light\’ zone selects the most highly functional germinal center B cells that have been […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Most headaches in pregnancy and the postnatal period are benign, but healthcare professionals must be alert to the rarer and more severe causes of headaches, suggests a new review. There are 85 different types of headache. Approximately 90% of headaches in pregnancy are migraine or tension-type headaches. However, pregnancy can lead to an […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Researchers have identified a new gene (PIM1), which could be an effective target for innovative treatments and therapies for the human autoimmune disease, psoriasis.Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Most autoimmune diseases disproportionately affect women, but scientists do not know why. Researchers say they’ve discovered a group of immune-regulating genes that increase activity in the presence of estrogen, which could help explain why women are better able to fight off infectious disease – and why they are more at risk for developing […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF A mouse model has been developed that exhibits the neuropathological and behavioral features associated with the most common genetic form of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig\’s disease) and frontotemporal dementia (FTD), which are caused by a mutation in the C9ORF72 gene. The researchers hope that this model will leave to new […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF This inflammatory viral infection of the liver causes inflexible scar tissue to form. This in turn impedes blood flow through the organ, with resulting hypertension in the portal vein. Portal hypertension is responsible for most of the lethal complications of liver cirrhosis. A research group has now demonstrated that portal vein hypertension also […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Photodynamic therapy is an effective treatment for early-stage skin cancer. However, this therapy can cause patients severe pain. The reason for this was previous a mystery to researchers. Physiologists have now discovered that it is due to two specific ion channels.Continue Reading ...
Download PDF A rare, severe form of pulmonary hypertension, which up until now, has only been classified as a human lung disease, has also been discovered in dogs according to an American study.Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Hypertension, more commonly known as high blood pressure, has increased significantly in children, paralleling the current childhood obesity epidemic. Although we know that adult hypertension can affect the brain, little research has been done on the cognitive effects of childhood hypertension. Researchers have now found that hypertension is associated with cognitive issues in children […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Like human patients, mice with a form of Duchenne muscular dystrophy undergo progressive muscle degeneration and accumulate connective tissue as they age. Now, researchers have found that the fault may lie at least partly in the stem cells that surround the muscle fibers.Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Researchers have used modeling to estimate the true impact of infectious diseases, such as swine flu, when underreporting can mean the surveillance from time of the pandemic can miss the vast majority of infections that occur in the population.Continue Reading ...
- Skin Autofluorescence Predicts T2DM, Heart Disease, Mortality
- Largest autism sequencing study to date yields 102 genes associated with ASD
- Statins associated with low risk of side effects
- Study explores how schools address adolescent self-harming practices
- Pregnancy in adolescence linked to increased risks of complications in young mothers
- Risk Analysis publishes special issue on communicating about Zika virus
- Botox May Help Prevent Post-Op A-Fib
- African-American mothers rate boys higher for ADHD
- Graphic warning labels cancel out cigarettes’ appeal to young people
- Australian researchers to study gas inhalational anaesthetic and likelihood of cancer return
- Individual neurons located within the brain have implications for psychiatric diseases
- Researchers improve bariatric surgery scoring system to extend prediction time for diabetic remission
- Cervical cancer risk is higher in women with positive HPV, but no cellular abnormalities
- Combo therapy not needed if low RA disease activity achieved
- Novel therapeutic targets based on biology of aging show promise for Alzheimer’s disease
- UC San Diego professor receives NCI Outstanding Investigator Award for cancer research
- Study evaluates placental mesenchymal stem cell sheets for myocardial repair and regeneration
- Blueprint Medicines Announces Updated Results from Ongoing EXPLORER Clinical Trial of Avapritinib Demonstrating Broad Clinical Activity and Significant Symptom Reductions in Patients with Systemic Mastocytosis
- Study clarifies ApoE4’s role in dementia
- Eating disorders now a top priority with Australian Government