Download PDF A 23-year-old woman tried to commit suicide after learning that her mother was diagnosed with dengue. The girl was rushed to the state-run Gokuldas Tejpal (GT) hospital in a critical condition after she consumed at least 15 paracetamol tablets and phenol to end her life. According to Dr D R Kulkarni, medical superintendent […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF CDC researchers have developed new tools using GPS technology and PDAs to help prevent the spread of malaria in Africa, according to a study published in the August issue of the American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, InformationWeek reports. Researchers used the devices to collect data on the use of insecticide-treated nets […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF The Affordable Care Act provides Americans with better health security. States that expanded Medicaid coverage under the Affordable Care Act saw a significant increase in rates of health insurance among low-income adults compared with states that did not expand the program, revealed researchers at UCLA. The study, published in the Peer-Reviewed Annals of Internal […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF When physicians use electronic health records to deliver personalized risk assessments via mail, patients at high risk for cardiovascular disease (CVD) are more likely to receive a prescription for cholesterol-lowering drugs and achieve lower long-term cholesterol levels, finds study. \”It is important to get high priority preventive care messages to patients in a […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Canadian pharmaceutical group Valeant is said to have increased the prices of Nitropress and Isuprel, by 525% and 212%, respectively, after purchasing the drugs. Several Democratic lawmakers in late September 2015 had pressed Valeant to provide documentation explaining the spike in its prices early in 2015 on these two drugs used for cardiac […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Self-stigma or internal stigma (or internalized stigma) is an extremely neglected, yet critical issue. Almost all of the 50 people living with HIV (PLHIV) Stigma Index Reports, from different regions of the world, report high levels of self-stigma, ranging from 20% to 75%, manifesting in feelings of shame, blame, fear and denial. IS […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF A woman and child died of H5N1 bird flu, the Egyptian health ministry announced on Monday. Egyptian health ministry spokesman Hossam Abdel Ghaffar said that the six-year-old child died in Minya province on Monday evening, after a 47-year-old woman succumbed to the disease in Assiut province earlier in the day. Advertisement According to […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Resistant hypertension affects about 1 in 10 people with high blood pressure and a new review article is aimed at helping physicians assess and manage patients with the condition. The review, published in CMAJ (Canadian Medical Association Journal) includes information on emerging therapies for the condition. The authors note that high-quality evidence is […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi wished former cricketer and BJP leader Navjot Singh Sidhu a quick recovery after the latter suffered a deep clot, acute deep vein thrombosis, in one of his blood vessels. \”Dear @sherryontopp ji (Navjot Singh Sidhu), get well soon. You are a fighter and will overcome the illness in […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF To improve quality, safety, efficiency in health care, a significant part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act was the $25 billion invested in health information technology (IT), while also reducing health disparities. However, nursing homes did not receive the same level of investment in technology as hospitals, leading to little understanding of […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF A new mechanism for a bacterial toxin to inhibit inflammation in a commonly inherited autoinflammatory disease has been discovered by scientists. The study showed that a toxin in Yersinia pestis, which is the bacterial agent of plague, targets and inhibits the protein pyrin. \”This finding is very significant because it may explain the […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Tech developers and authorities must stop sensitive health data entered into applications on mobile phones ending up in the wrong hands, warn experts. As wireless telecom companies gathered in Barcelona this week at the Mobile World Congress, the sector\’s biggest trade fair, specialists in \”e-health\” said healthcare is fast shifting into the connected […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF 21 new Zika cases has brought the total number in Singapore to 381, said authorities. The National Environment Agency (NEA) said that among these newly reported cases, none were reported on Monday. There are now nine Zika clusters in Singapore, as two cases emerged in a new cluster at Hougang Avenue 7 over […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Lung transplantation at high-volume centers have lower transplantation costs, and patients are less likely to be readmitted within 30 days of leaving the hospital following surgery, says a new study. \”The Effect of Transplant Center Volume on Cost and Readmission in Medicare Lung Transplant Recipients\” was published online ahead of print in the […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Lack of testosterone left macaques with periodontal disease, indicated a study that was recently published in the American Journal of Physical Anthropology. Qian Wang, associate professor in biomedical sciences, and Paul Dechow, Regents professor and biomedical sciences chair, analyzed the skeletonized remains of five castrated male rhesus macaques, all of which had died […]Continue Reading ...
- Researchers develop artificial enzymatic pathway for synthesizing isoprenoids in E. coli
- Scientists advise caution in immunotherapy research
- How children across the world develop language
- Columbia Medical Student Receives McDonogh Scholarship
- Secretive ‘Rebate Trap’ Keeps Generic Drugs For Diabetes And Other Ills Out Of Reach
- Plant based diet could be the best option for the planet says commission
- New conservation practice could reduce nitrogen from agricultural drainage, study shows
- UIC researchers receive $1.7 million NCI grant to study Southeast Asian fruit
- New study determines the fate of DNA derived from genetically modified food
- Scientists develop new gene therapy that prevents axon destruction in mice
- Study finds critically low HPV vaccination rates among younger adolescents in the U.S.
- Brain cells involved in memory play key role in reducing future eating behavior
- Risk for Conversion of MS Varies With Different Therapies
- Investigational cream may help patients with inflammatory skin disease
- Medical school news office receives six writing awards | News Center
- County By County, Researchers Link Opioid Deaths To Drugmakers’ Marketing
- Research reveals risk for developing more than one mental health disorder
- Scientists discover a dramatic pattern of bone growth in female mice
- Study finds link between lengthy periods of undisturbed maternal sleep and stillbirths
- New nuclear medicine method could improve detection of primary and metastatic melanoma