Many people who are diagnosed with cancer will undergo some type of surgery to treat their disease — almost 95 percent of people with early-diagnosed breast cancer will require surgery and it’s often the first line of treatment for people with brain tumors, for example. But despite improvements in surgical techniques over the past decade, […]Continue Reading ...
(HealthDay)—Patients with nasal airway obstruction have health utility values (HUVs) below the mean Australian norm, with improvement noted after open septorhinoplasty, according to a study published online Nov. 15 in JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery. Richard Tjahjono, M.D., from the University of New South Wales in Sydney, and colleagues conducted a prospective case series study at […]Continue Reading ...
When it comes to preventing blood clots after a knee replacement, good old aspirin may be just as effective as newer, more expensive drugs. Credit: Michigan Medicine/Manifest When it comes to preventing blood clots after a knee replacement, good old aspirin may be just as effective as newer, more expensive drugs. That swap could help […]Continue Reading ...
Researchers from Universidad Politécnica de Madrid have has achieved the functional recovery from a stroke after implanting silk fibroin hydrogels-encapsulated stem cells in stroke mice. A team of researchers from the Centre for Biomedical Technology (CTB) at Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM) in collaboration with the Universidad Complutense de Madrid (UCM), the Instituto Cajal and […]Continue Reading ...
“That event was a big wake up call to all of us,” said Dr. Zev Williams, chief of infertility at Columbia University Fertility Center.Continue Reading ...
MONDAY, Oct. 22, 2018 — After a heart attack, your risk for a stroke is elevated longer than previously believed, preliminary results of a new study suggest. “A heart attack is a risk factor for stroke for at least three months,” said researcher Dr. Alexander Merkler, an assistant professor of neurology at Weill Cornell Medical […]Continue Reading ...
WEDNESDAY, Oct. 17, 2018 — Tracking pounds regained after weight-loss surgery can help predict a patient’s risk for serious health problems like diabetes, a new study says. “Clinicians and patients want to know the extent of weight regain following bariatric surgery and how it may affect their health,” said study lead author Wendy King, an […]Continue Reading ...
As an anesthesiologist, Sesh Mudumbai, MD, knows that patients heading home after surgery with an opioid prescription face a variety of risks, including the potential of overdose or addiction. He suspected that patients might be more likely to overdose — either accidentally or intentionally — if they had a more complex surgery, such as heart or […]Continue Reading ...
In this Aug. 16, 2010 file photo a nurse looks on from a window of the Giulesti hospital following a fire that left 5 newborn babies dead. Romanian health authorities on Friday, Nov. 30, 2018, temporarily closed the maternity hospital in the capital after over a dozen babies born there recently were diagnosed with a […]Continue Reading ...
One question that has baffled mankind is “after-death experience” or the experience after the heart stops beating. There have been anecdotal reports of a person being able to understand and hear what is happening around them even after they have been declared dead. A team of researchers have found that the brain works for a […]Continue Reading ...
The grieving process can be a long one, but psychiatrist M. Katherine Shear says there are several things people need to do to move forward in their lives after a loss like this.Continue Reading ...
(HealthDay)—An “enhanced recovery after surgery” (ERAS) program is associated with a significant reduction in opioid consumption after gynecologic surgery with no increase in pain scores, according to a study published in the August issue of Obstetrics & Gynecology. Larissa A. Meyer, M.D., M.P.H., from the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, and […]Continue Reading ...
When it comes to preventing blood clots after a knee replacement, good old aspirin may be just as effective as newer, more expensive drugs. That swap could help reduce the cost of caring for the nearly 1 million Americans who have a knee fixed each year, Michigan Medicine researchers say. After knee surgery, there’s a […]Continue Reading ...
Up to two years following elective, arthroscopic hip surgery, a substantial proportion of patients reported troubling new health issues ranging from sleep problems, to arthritis to cardiovascular disease. While such problems can be transient and diminish as full mobility returns, the findings suggest that patients and doctors should be prepared to manage a variety of […]Continue Reading ...
The likelihood of childbirth after in vitro fertilization (IVF) treatment increases if 18 to 20 eggs are stimulated to mature in a woman’s ovaries, a dissertation at Sahlgrenska Academy, Sweden, shows. That is more eggs than the number aimed at in today’s IVF treatments. “The results can serve as the basis for how hormone stimulation […]Continue Reading ...
- 2017 Saw Slowing in National Health Care Spending
- Monitoring movement reflects efficacy of mandibular splint
- Study supports BMI as useful tool for assessing obesity and health
- Self-guided, internet-based therapy platforms effectively reduce depression
- Organically farmed food has bigger climate impact than conventional food production
- Faster, cheaper test has potential to enhance prostate cancer evaluation
- Researchers study abnormal blood glucose levels of patients after hospital discharge
- Swedish scientists explore direct association of dementia and ischemic stroke deaths
- Study finds 117% increase in number of dementia sufferers in 26 years
- Eczema Can Drive People to Thoughts of Suicide: Study
- Link between neonatal vitamin D deficiency and schizophrenia confirmed
- Nurse denied life insurance because she carries naloxone
- Ritalin drug affects organization of pathways that build brain networks used in attention, learning
- Research pinpoints two proteins involved in creation of stem cells
- Gut bacteria may modify effectiveness of anti-diabetes drugs
- Using machine learning to predict risk of developing life-threatening infections
- How imaginary friends could boost children’s development
- Folate deficiency creates more damaging chromosomal abnormalities than previously known
- Study provides new insights into molecular mechanisms underlying role of amyloid in Alzheimer’s disease
- For the asking, a check is in the mail to help pay for costly drugs