Cancer-associated fibroblasts are derived from bone marrow cells called mesenchymal stromal cells, Tel Aviv University researchers say Tel Aviv University researchers have discovered that breast cancer tumors boost their growth by recruiting stromal cells that originate in bone marrow. While the recruitment of bone marrow-derived fibroblasts lowers the odds of surviving breast cancer, the study […]Continue Reading ...
August 20, 2018 An international research team finds immune cells needed to fight cancer are trapped in the bone marrow by some brain tumors Certain brain cancers are associated with low numbers of immune system T-cells circulating in the peripheral blood. Low T-cell numbers can be a side-effect of cancer treatment. But it now appears […]Continue Reading ...
June 18, 2018 Most patients with myelofibrosis, a rare chronic disorder of the hematopoietic cells of the bone marrow, benefit from drugs from the JAK2 inhibitor class: symptoms are relieved, survival extended and general quality-of-life enhanced. However, two or three years after the start of treatment, some patients develop an aggressive B-cell lymphoma. In a […]Continue Reading ...
What Are Bone Marrow Tests? Bone marrow is a soft, spongy tissue found in the center of most bones. Bone marrow makes different types of blood cells. These include: Red blood cells (also called erythrocytes), which carry oxygen from your lungs to every cell in your body White blood cells (also called leukocytes), which help […]Continue Reading ...
March 13, 2018 New research indicates that young recreational and elite athletes commonly accumulate excess fluid in the bone marrow around the joint that connects the spine with the pelvis. The Arthritis & Rheumatology findings may help define what amount of fluid detected on imaging tests may be considered ‘background noise’ in physically active healthy […]Continue Reading ...
April 10, 2017 Hematologist-oncologist Ahmad Samer Al-Homsi MD, MBA, will lead a brand new bone marrow transplantation program at NYU Langone’s Perlmutter Most cancers Middle for treating blood-borne cancers, together with leukemia, lymphoma and a couple of myeloma, and doubtlessly make the most of transplantation as an accessory to immunotherapy for cast tumors. He additionally […]Continue Reading ...
April 10, 2017 at eight:44 AM Hematologist-oncologist Ahmad Samer Al-Homsi MD, MBA, will lead a brand new bone marrow transplantation program at NYU Langone’s Perlmutter Most cancers Middle for treating blood-borne cancers, together with leukemia, lymphoma and a couple of myeloma, and doubtlessly make the most of transplantation as an accessory to immunotherapy for cast […]Continue Reading ...
July 27, 2018 Researchers have helped solve a decades-old mystery about which mutations are responsible for an inherited bone marrow disorder. The answer may allow some children to avoid the risk and expense of bone marrow transplantation, a common treatment for leukemia and bone marrow disorders. Investigators at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and UCSF, […]Continue Reading ...
May 8, 2018 A Plasmodium vivax infection is like an iceberg: It’s dangerous, in part, because much of it hides out of view. A new study published this week in mBio shows how researchers are revealing more of this parasite’s biology. P. vivax is the malaria parasite responsible for the vast majority of infections outside […]Continue Reading ...
A recent study published in Rheumatology finds that osteitis/bone marrow edema as measured by magnetic resonance imaging was present in healthy people. However, it did not significantly increase due to intense physical activity. In the last decade, considerable efforts have been made to shorten the diagnostic delay in axial spondyloarthritis, a chronic inflammatory disease predominantly […]Continue Reading ...
August 28, 2017 Bone marrow accommodates hematopoetic stem cells, the precursors to each and every blood mobile sort. Those cells spring into motion following bone marrow transplants, bone marrow damage and all the way through systemic an infection, developing new blood cells, together with immune cells, in a procedure referred to as hematopoiesis. A brand […]Continue Reading ...
Engineered bone with purposeful marrow. Credit score: Varghese lab, UC San Diego Engineers on the College of California San Diego have evolved biomimetic bone tissues that might sooner or later supply new bone marrow for sufferers wanting transplants. Bone marrow transplants are used to regard sufferers with bone marrow illness. Earlier than a transplant, a […]Continue Reading ...
- Health Tip: Eat Less Saturated Fat
- Sleeping in contact lenses puts you at risk of dangerous infection
- “We should study that!”: How a nurse-scientist found her passion
- Cervical microbiome may influence HPV infection more than previously thought
- Sausage mislabeling in Canada is down, new study finds
- Study shows blood pressure benefits of morning exercise for older overweight/obese adults
- New screening method could catch organ rejection much earlier without a biopsy needle
- Study may have important implications for refining parenting during child’s adolescence
- Study sheds new light on how antibiotic resistance genes are transferred between bacteria
- Chronic Wasting Disease may soon spread to humans, warns CDC
- Scientists identify new genetic causes linked to abnormal pregnancies and miscarriages
- Using LyoSpeed technology to avoid residual solvent when drying HPLC fractions
- New screening tool more likely to identify sexual and labor exploitation of youth
- Newly licensed nurses work for long hours, also have a second paid job
- Physicists identify simple mechanism used by deadly bacteria to fend off antibiotics
- FDA Grants Priority Review to Genentech’s Personalized Medicine Entrectinib
- Exposure to chemicals before and after birth is associated with a decrease in lung function
- Neuroscientists reveal that simple brain region can guide complex feats of mental activity
- Study finds new link between food allergies and multiple sclerosis
- First gene therapy operation for macular degeneration is a success