August 20, 2018 An international research team finds immune cells needed to fight cancer are trapped in the bone marrow by some brain tumors Certain brain cancers are associated with low numbers of immune system T-cells circulating in the peripheral blood. Low T-cell numbers can be a side-effect of cancer treatment. But it now appears […]Continue Reading ...
July 27, 2018 Researchers have helped solve a decades-old mystery about which mutations are responsible for an inherited bone marrow disorder. The answer may allow some children to avoid the risk and expense of bone marrow transplantation, a common treatment for leukemia and bone marrow disorders. Investigators at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and UCSF, […]Continue Reading ...
May 8, 2018 A Plasmodium vivax infection is like an iceberg: It’s dangerous, in part, because much of it hides out of view. A new study published this week in mBio shows how researchers are revealing more of this parasite’s biology. P. vivax is the malaria parasite responsible for the vast majority of infections outside […]Continue Reading ...
A recent study published in Rheumatology finds that osteitis/bone marrow edema as measured by magnetic resonance imaging was present in healthy people. However, it did not significantly increase due to intense physical activity. In the last decade, considerable efforts have been made to shorten the diagnostic delay in axial spondyloarthritis, a chronic inflammatory disease predominantly […]Continue Reading ...
August 28, 2017 Bone marrow accommodates hematopoetic stem cells, the precursors to each and every blood mobile sort. Those cells spring into motion following bone marrow transplants, bone marrow damage and all the way through systemic an infection, developing new blood cells, together with immune cells, in a procedure referred to as hematopoiesis. A brand […]Continue Reading ...
Engineered bone with purposeful marrow. Credit score: Varghese lab, UC San Diego Engineers on the College of California San Diego have evolved biomimetic bone tissues that might sooner or later supply new bone marrow for sufferers wanting transplants. Bone marrow transplants are used to regard sufferers with bone marrow illness. Earlier than a transplant, a […]Continue Reading ...
June 18, 2018 Most patients with myelofibrosis, a rare chronic disorder of the hematopoietic cells of the bone marrow, benefit from drugs from the JAK2 inhibitor class: symptoms are relieved, survival extended and general quality-of-life enhanced. However, two or three years after the start of treatment, some patients develop an aggressive B-cell lymphoma. In a […]Continue Reading ...
What Are Bone Marrow Tests? Bone marrow is a soft, spongy tissue found in the center of most bones. Bone marrow makes different types of blood cells. These include: Red blood cells (also called erythrocytes), which carry oxygen from your lungs to every cell in your body White blood cells (also called leukocytes), which help […]Continue Reading ...
March 13, 2018 New research indicates that young recreational and elite athletes commonly accumulate excess fluid in the bone marrow around the joint that connects the spine with the pelvis. The Arthritis & Rheumatology findings may help define what amount of fluid detected on imaging tests may be considered ‘background noise’ in physically active healthy […]Continue Reading ...
April 10, 2017 Hematologist-oncologist Ahmad Samer Al-Homsi MD, MBA, will lead a brand new bone marrow transplantation program at NYU Langone’s Perlmutter Most cancers Middle for treating blood-borne cancers, together with leukemia, lymphoma and a couple of myeloma, and doubtlessly make the most of transplantation as an accessory to immunotherapy for cast tumors. He additionally […]Continue Reading ...
April 10, 2017 at eight:44 AM Hematologist-oncologist Ahmad Samer Al-Homsi MD, MBA, will lead a brand new bone marrow transplantation program at NYU Langone’s Perlmutter Most cancers Middle for treating blood-borne cancers, together with leukemia, lymphoma and a couple of myeloma, and doubtlessly make the most of transplantation as an accessory to immunotherapy for cast […]Continue Reading ...
- Could we prevent Alzheimer’s disease by treating herpes?
- Nurse-led care can be more successful in managing gout
- Trump administration, pharma exchange verbal volleys on drug-price transparency
- Duke researchers find way to detect blood doping in athletes
- Many primary care doctors are still prescribing sedative drugs for older adults
- Finger length can predict sexuality in women say researchers
- Study finds differences in side-effects experienced by male and female OG cancer patients
- Few Seniors Who Self-Harm Referred for Mental Health Care
- Don’t sweat the sweet stuff
- URMC researchers discover new approach to deliver therapeutics to the brain
- Middlemen suppliers can increase drug prices and hospital bills, say Johns Hopkins researchers
- $11 million NIH grant for Clemson University helps launch new center for musculoskeletal research
- A new approach identified to control Zika virus, dengue fever
- Head Blows Without Concussion May Not Damage Brain, Study Claims
- US opioid use not declined, despite focus on abuse and awareness of risk
- Next-generation RNA sequencing technology sheds new light on human mitochondrial diseases
- UT Southwestern biochemist receives 2019 Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences for innate immunity discovery
- The immune system also plays a key role in day-to-day function of healthy organs
- New tool may reveal how the brain structure impacts brain activity, human behavior
- Trump Administration announces ‘Winning on Reducing Food Waste’ initiative