The Lancet has reported about the alarming status of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) on the 4th of this month following a reported 785 deaths due to the disease in the country. Ebola Virus illustration. Image Credit: Festa / Shutterstock The DRC has reported 22 new cases to add to the outbreak. […]Continue Reading ...
Demand for measles vaccine has surged in the Washington county where the highly contagious virus is linked to more than 50 confirmed illnesses this year — including among people who had previously shunned the shots. Orders for two types of measles vaccines in Clark County were up nearly 500 percent in January compared to the […]Continue Reading ...
As Americans prepare to cook and consume nearly 50 million turkeys on Thanksgiving Day, an ongoing outbreak of salmonella poisoning linked to the poultry means food safety at home is more critical than ever. Federal health officials have identified no single source of the outbreak of Salmonella Reading, which has sickened at least 164 people […]Continue Reading ...
WEDNESDAY, Aug. 29, 2018 — One person has died and 16 others sickened in a four-state Salmonella outbreak linked to kosher chicken, U.S. health officials say. Cases have been reported in Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. Eight people have been hospitalized, including one patient who died in New York. Illnesses began between Sept. 25, […]Continue Reading ...
July 25, 2018 In one of the largest studies of its kind, researchers analyzed chikungunya and dengue outbreak data from 76 countries over a period of 50 years, focusing on regions across the Indian Ocean that are hard hit by these and other mosquito-borne infectious diseases. The analysis of 1959-2009 data revealed that population density […]Continue Reading ...
May 21, 2018 Br Dr Ananya Mandal, MD Congo is facing a new Ebola outbreak and the health officials have announced that starting today, (Monday 21st May 2018), response teams would begin administering an experimental Ebola vaccine in Mbandaka. Mbandaka is a northwestern city with a population of around 1.2 million. There have been reports […]Continue Reading ...
By Dr Ananya Mandal, MDMay 9, 2018 Yesterday (8th May 2018), the Government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo declared a new outbreak of Ebola in the rural northwest of the country. This came after two cases of Ebola were confirmed in regions of Bikoro. According to the health ministry of Congo, five samples […]Continue Reading ...
April 10, 2018 A DNA test method called polymerase chain reaction (PCR) allowed New York City health officials to identify the source of a Legionnaires’ disease outbreak within hours of specimen collection and should be considered in all Legionnaires’ outbreak investigations, researchers say in the April issue of the Journal of Environmental Health. Their study […]Continue Reading ...
FRIDAY, Dec. 7, 2018 — Nine more people have been sickened by E. coli in an outbreak involving romaine lettuce grown in parts of California, bringing the total to 52 people in 15 states, U.S. health officials reported Thursday. Nineteen people have been hospitalized, including two who developed a type of kidney failure called hemolytic […]Continue Reading ...
Home News Professional CDC: Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Gravel Ridge Farms Eggs WEDNESDAY, Oct. 3, 2018 — The multistate Salmonella outbreak linked to Gravel Ridge Farms cage-free large eggs has grown, and consumers, restaurants, and retailers should not eat, serve, or sell the eggs, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says. In a […]Continue Reading ...
By Dr Ananya Mandal, MD,August 14, 2018 The outbreak of the deadly Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo has spread outside the province of North Kivu according to a statement made by the country’s health ministry yesterday. With this the viral infection has reached an active conflict zone and this may mean that it […]Continue Reading ...
Nipah virus (NiV) is a member of the family Paramyxoviridae, genus Henipavirus. NiV was initially isolated and identified in 1999 during an outbreak of encephalitis and respiratory illness among pig farmers and people with close contact with pigs in Malaysia and Singapore. Its name originated from Sungai Nipah, a village in the Malaysian Peninsula where […]Continue Reading ...
By Dr Ananya Mandal, MDMay 18, 2018 There has been a confirmed case of Ebola in the Mbandaka city of Congo that has a population of 1.2 million. This is the first urban case in the latest outbreak and is being considered to be one of the most serious ones in recent times. The last […]Continue Reading ...
April 16, 2018 A single foodborne outbreak could cost a restaurant millions of dollars in lost revenue, fines, lawsuits, legal fees, insurance premium increases, inspection costs and staff retraining, a new study from researchers at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health suggests. The findings, which will be published online on Apr. 16 in […]Continue Reading ...
A new approach to information gathering could allow scientists to quickly identify the most effective way to manage a disease outbreak, an advance that could save lives.Continue Reading ...
- FDA authorizes new interoperable insulin pump for children, adults with diabetes
- Coexisting Medical Conditions, Smoking Explain PTSD-CVD Link
- Skin Cancer Screening: MedlinePlus Lab Test Information
- ‘Happiness’ exercises can boost mood in those recovering from substance use disorder
- Cell manipulation could soon halt or reverse aging
- Pumped Breast Milk Falls Short of Breastfed Version
- Men’s porn habits could fuel partners’ eating disorders, study suggests
- Rapid progression of age-related diseases may result from formation of vicious cycles
- Immune checkpoint molecule protects against future development of cancer
- New method produces hydrogels that have properties similar to cells’ environment
- $4.1 million funding for heart research on Valentine’s Day
- General anesthesia in early infancy unlikely to have lasting effects on developing brains
- New breakthroughs for muscular dystrophy research
- First Opinion: Embryo editing for higher IQ is a fantasy. Embryo profiling for it is almost here
- Vapers develop cancer-related gene deregulation as cigarette smokers
- Bringing Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing (AST) to the Community
- Decolonization protocol after hospital discharge can prevent dangerous infections
- Therapeutic endoscopy has an expanding role in the treatment of IBD
- Blood clot discovery could lead to development of better treatments for blood diseases
- Intervention can increase exclusive breastfeeding rates