THURSDAY, April 18, 2019 — A listeria outbreak that has sickened eight, including one death, has now been linked to deli meats and cheeses sold at stores in four states, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday. The illnesses in the outbreak, which first began more than two years ago, have been […]Continue Reading ...
Plague is an endemic disease in Madagascar. Each year there is a seasonal upsurge between September and April, especially in the Central Highlands, which stand at an elevation of more than 800 m. In 2017, an unprecedented pneumonic plague outbreak hit the main island, primarily affecting the capital Antananarivo and the main port city of […]Continue Reading ...
Demand for measles vaccine has surged in the Washington county where the highly contagious virus is linked to more than 50 confirmed illnesses this year — including among people who had previously shunned the shots. Orders for two types of measles vaccines in Clark County were up nearly 500 percent in January compared to the […]Continue Reading ...
As Americans prepare to cook and consume nearly 50 million turkeys on Thanksgiving Day, an ongoing outbreak of salmonella poisoning linked to the poultry means food safety at home is more critical than ever. Federal health officials have identified no single source of the outbreak of Salmonella Reading, which has sickened at least 164 people […]Continue Reading ...
WEDNESDAY, Aug. 29, 2018 — One person has died and 16 others sickened in a four-state Salmonella outbreak linked to kosher chicken, U.S. health officials say. Cases have been reported in Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. Eight people have been hospitalized, including one patient who died in New York. Illnesses began between Sept. 25, […]Continue Reading ...
July 25, 2018 In one of the largest studies of its kind, researchers analyzed chikungunya and dengue outbreak data from 76 countries over a period of 50 years, focusing on regions across the Indian Ocean that are hard hit by these and other mosquito-borne infectious diseases. The analysis of 1959-2009 data revealed that population density […]Continue Reading ...
May 21, 2018 Br Dr Ananya Mandal, MD Congo is facing a new Ebola outbreak and the health officials have announced that starting today, (Monday 21st May 2018), response teams would begin administering an experimental Ebola vaccine in Mbandaka. Mbandaka is a northwestern city with a population of around 1.2 million. There have been reports […]Continue Reading ...
By Dr Ananya Mandal, MDMay 9, 2018 Yesterday (8th May 2018), the Government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo declared a new outbreak of Ebola in the rural northwest of the country. This came after two cases of Ebola were confirmed in regions of Bikoro. According to the health ministry of Congo, five samples […]Continue Reading ...
The Lancet has reported about the alarming status of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) on the 4th of this month following a reported 785 deaths due to the disease in the country. Ebola Virus illustration. Image Credit: Festa / Shutterstock The DRC has reported 22 new cases to add to the outbreak. […]Continue Reading ...
FRIDAY, Dec. 7, 2018 — Nine more people have been sickened by E. coli in an outbreak involving romaine lettuce grown in parts of California, bringing the total to 52 people in 15 states, U.S. health officials reported Thursday. Nineteen people have been hospitalized, including two who developed a type of kidney failure called hemolytic […]Continue Reading ...
Home News Professional CDC: Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Gravel Ridge Farms Eggs WEDNESDAY, Oct. 3, 2018 — The multistate Salmonella outbreak linked to Gravel Ridge Farms cage-free large eggs has grown, and consumers, restaurants, and retailers should not eat, serve, or sell the eggs, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says. In a […]Continue Reading ...
By Dr Ananya Mandal, MD,August 14, 2018 The outbreak of the deadly Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo has spread outside the province of North Kivu according to a statement made by the country’s health ministry yesterday. With this the viral infection has reached an active conflict zone and this may mean that it […]Continue Reading ...
Nipah virus (NiV) is a member of the family Paramyxoviridae, genus Henipavirus. NiV was initially isolated and identified in 1999 during an outbreak of encephalitis and respiratory illness among pig farmers and people with close contact with pigs in Malaysia and Singapore. Its name originated from Sungai Nipah, a village in the Malaysian Peninsula where […]Continue Reading ...
By Dr Ananya Mandal, MDMay 18, 2018 There has been a confirmed case of Ebola in the Mbandaka city of Congo that has a population of 1.2 million. This is the first urban case in the latest outbreak and is being considered to be one of the most serious ones in recent times. The last […]Continue Reading ...
April 16, 2018 A single foodborne outbreak could cost a restaurant millions of dollars in lost revenue, fines, lawsuits, legal fees, insurance premium increases, inspection costs and staff retraining, a new study from researchers at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health suggests. The findings, which will be published online on Apr. 16 in […]Continue Reading ...
- Smart assistants could help combat opioid crisis
- Diagnostic stewardship strategy reduces inappropriate testing
- Three-antibiotic cocktail eradicates ‘persister’ Lyme bacteria in mouse model
- Study investigates how early blindness shapes sound processing
- Outcomes Worse for Cancer Patients Seen at Noncancer EDs
- Link found between temperament of high-risk infants and obesity
- Al Letson explores ties between journalists and doctors at Medicine and the Muse symposium
- New mobile phone game can detect people at risk of Alzheimer’s
- Exercise activates brain circuits associated with memory in older adults
- Veggies, Fruits and Grains Keep Your Heart Pumping
- Healthy meal kits can boost children’s long-term health
- Designing an inexpensive surgical headlight: A Q&A with a Stanford surgeon
- States Weigh Banning A Widely Used Pesticide Even Though EPA Won’t
- Integrator complex proteins are crucial for healthy brain development in fruit flies, study finds
- Device converts brain signals into speech, offering hope for patients
- Measles vaccination rates are a ‘public health time bomb’
- Maths made easier for scientists students who shun the subject wins award
- Researchers decode how cancer drug works in brains of Parkinson’s disease patients
- Smarter Brain Cancer Trial Comes to Columbia
- Researchers Seek Sage Advice Of Elders On Aging Issues