Meat-free athletes–from tennis champion Venus Williams to Formula 1’s Lewis Hamilton to Derrick Morgan of the NFL’s Tennessee Titans–have already proven the performance-boosting power of a plant-based diet. Now, “Plant-Based Diets for Cardiovascular Safety and Performance in Endurance Sports,” a new scientific review published in the journal Nutrients adds further evidence that plant-based athletes benefit […]Continue Reading ...
Researchers in the US have genetically engineered a way of shortcutting photosynthesis to increase the size of tobacco plants by up to 40%. sevenke | Shutterstock They say the development could be applied to increase the yield of other important crops, as a way of boosting food productivity for a growing population in the face […]Continue Reading ...
A piece of research by the UPV/EHU-University of the Basque Country reveals oxidative stress and death in hepatic tumor cells caused by the Vismia baccifera plant A piece of research conducted by the Free Radicals and Oxidative Stress Group at the UPV/EHU’s Faculty of Medicine and Nursing has deciphered the antitumor mechanism exerted by the […]Continue Reading ...
Researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison have developed fluorescing plants and videoed them to find out how the plants defend against attack. When a leaf was severed from the rest of the plant by a caterpillar, one video showed fluorescent light moving across the plant to reach other leaves. The fluorescent light was tracking a […]Continue Reading ...
June 11, 2018 Eating a vegetarian or primarily plant-based diet is associated with a variety of health benefits. But simply being vegetarian is not enough to reap those benefits-;the quality of the food matters, too. The Nutrition 2018 meeting will feature new research into the health impacts of eating a plant-based diet and how dietary […]Continue Reading ...
April 18, 2018 It sometimes can be hard to find toothpastes, soaps and other toiletries without antibiotics. Their popularity has caused an increase in environmental levels of antimicrobial substances, such as triclocarban (TCC), which end up in the water and soil used to grow crops. Scientists report in the ACS’ Journal of Agricultural and Food […]Continue Reading ...
Researchers at Skaggs Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences at College of California San Diego and the College of Colorado Anschutz Scientific Campus have discovered that compounds produced by way of the creosote bush, a wilderness plant not unusual to the Southwestern United States, show off potent anti-parasitic job towards the protozoa accountable for giardia […]Continue Reading ...
August 11, 2017 Plant-based consuming patterns proceed to jump in reputation and a gaggle of diet researchers define the science at the back of this sustainable development in a overview paper, entitled “Cardiometabolic advantages of plant-based diets,” which seems as an internet advance within the Aug. nine, 2017, version of Vitamins. The overview outlines how […]Continue Reading ...
Jasmonic acid is not just the aromatic odor of the plant Jasminum grandiflorum used in cosmetics and perfume industries. Plants wounded by e.g. chewing herbivores produce jasmonic acid as a defense signal, as a phytohormone to mount their defense responses – this includes for example the formation of toxic substances. They even employ volatile derivatives […]Continue Reading ...
Bacterial wilt devastates food crops all over the world. It destroys major crop plants such as tomatoes, potatoes, bananas, ginger and pepper. It occurs in many countries and attacks over 200 plant species. The bacterium which causes the disease lingers in soil, seeds and plant material for years. It can infect water and farming equipment […]Continue Reading ...
Just like humans, plants have an immune system that helps them fight off infections. Plant immunity has some important differences: they don’t make antibodies and can’t fight off the same bug more quickly months or years later. However, plant cells can identify pathogens and react to them, often by producing a burst of reactive oxygen […]Continue Reading ...
June 5, 2018 A new meta-analysis published in the journal Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases finds that a diet that includes plant protein, fiber, nuts, and plant sterols lowers cholesterol, improves blood pressure, and improves other markers for cardiovascular disease risk. The diet is based on the “Portfolio Diet,” which is a plant-based dietary pattern that […]Continue Reading ...
April 16, 2018 Safety violations at a major compounding pharmacy are exacerbating hospital shortages of key painkillers, particularly in California where health officials have taken the “extraordinary” step of prohibiting sales from one of its plants. In late March, California’s Board of Pharmacy barred the distribution of medications — including lidocaine and other local anesthetics […]Continue Reading ...
August 22, 2017 A brand new nutritional overview of 49 observational and regulated research unearths plant-based vegetarian diets, particularly vegan diets, are related to decrease ranges of general ldl cholesterol, together with decrease ranges of HDL and LDL ldl cholesterol, in comparison to omnivorous diets. The meta-analysis seems as an internet advance in Vitamin Opinions. […]Continue Reading ...
July 7, 2017 Crops and brains are extra alike than chances are you’ll assume: Salk scientists found out that the mathematical laws governing how vegetation develop are very similar to how mind cells sprout connections. The brand new paintings, revealed in Present Biology on July 6, 2017, and in accordance with information from three-D laser […]Continue Reading ...
- New evidence shows how fever alters immune cells
- Researchers find new class of blood pressure-regulating peptides in vampire bat venom
- Promega to exhibit new Maxwell RSC48 platform at 2019 Festival of Genomics
- Study pinpoints immune cells that could be key to tackling hypertension
- Couples Intervention May Aid Partners of Diabetes Patients
- Your weight history may predict your heart failure risk
- Explore a cornucopia of accomplishments in prematurity research
- New study identifies four characteristics that predict severity of postpartum depression
- New, scalpel-free treatment for reducing Parkinson’s tremor gets FDA approval
- Neurobiologists uncover key component of how the human brain marks time
- LifeTime receives fund to develop a plan to embed its vision for healthier future
- New NSF funded study may help physicians decrease brain injury deaths
- Ham bones contain peptides that could have cardioprotective effects
- Research finds how Candida albicans adapt to low oxygen levels to cause infection
- Cobra Biologics announces appointment of Dr Darrell Sleep as Director of Innovation
- Cellular protein that interacts with viruses appears to enable infection process of Zika virus
- Opioids Now More Deadly for Americans Than Traffic Accidents
- Women who start periods early are at greater risk of cardiovascular problems
- The brain-circuitry clash that keeps you from diving into that plate of ribs when you’re dining with royalty
- Poo transplant can successfully treat patients with ulcerative colitis