August 9, 2018 As anyone who has experienced an annoying alternation between dry and watery eyes can confirm, tears alone aren’t enough to keep the eye from drying out. A microscopically thin film of oils known as the tear film lipid layer is key to preventing the tear film from evaporating. In this month’s issue […]Continue Reading ...
June 27, 2018 Heart disease is the number one killer in the United States, and high triglyceride levels in the blood are cited as just one of several risk factors. Millions of lipid panels, blood tests that look at cholesterol levels as well as triglycerides, are performed in clinics each year. Two new Morgridge Institute […]Continue Reading ...
June 13, 2018 Scientists from EPFL and the University of Wisconsin-Madison have carried out one of the most extensive lipidomics studies to date, connecting almost 150 different lipid species to their respective genetic regulators, revealing signatures of metabolic health and disease. Published in two papers in Cell Systems, the study is a landmark for metabolic […]Continue Reading ...
Would possibly nine, 2017 Learning how our our bodies metabolize lipids similar to fatty acids, triglycerides, and ldl cholesterol can educate us about heart problems, diabetes, and different well being issues, in addition to expose elementary cell purposes. However the strategy of learning what occurs to lipids after being fed on has been each technologically […]Continue Reading ...
Might nine, 2017 Learning how our our bodies metabolize lipids corresponding to fatty acids, triglycerides, and ldl cholesterol can educate us about heart problems, diabetes, and different well being issues, in addition to disclose elementary mobile purposes. However the means of finding out what occurs to lipids after being fed on has been each technologically […]Continue Reading ...
Gaucher illness is a genetic dysfunction of lipid metabolism. Sphingosine, a compound as enigmatic because the sphinx, performs a key function on this metabolic dysfunction. Scientists from the Bonn analysis middle caesar have known one of the advanced molecular mechanisms of the way the illness develops. Those findings may just give a contribution to the […]Continue Reading ...
June 14, 2018 Brown tissue whitening causes cell death, inflammation There’s more than one type of fat cell. Besides the white fat that stores triglycerides in lipid droplets in preparation for lean times later, mammals also have heat-generating brown fat, which acts more like a radiator than a storage closet. Brown fat cells are smaller, […]Continue Reading ...
April 10, 2018 Intestinal bacteria have attracted recent attention since they were discovered to influence various physiological functions and diseases in humans. Researchers from Kumamoto University in Japan analyzing the influence of changes in intestinal bacteria on sugar and lipid metabolism have found that secondary bile acids produced by the bacteria can influence blood glucose […]Continue Reading ...
April 17, 2017 Scientists have known the gene accountable for producing acylceramide, the important thing lipid in forming the outside barrier that protects us from pathogens, allergens and different destructive elements. This discovering may end up a very powerful in creating drugs for treating atopic dermatitis and ichthyosis. Defects of the outside barrier can cause […]Continue Reading ...
April 17, 2017 at 1:45 AM Scientists have known the gene liable for producing acylceramide, the important thing lipid in forming the surface barrier that protects us from pathogens, allergens and different damaging elements. This discovering may just end up a very powerful in growing drugs for treating atopic dermatitis and ichthyosis. Defects of the […]Continue Reading ...
- A new approach identified to control Zika virus, dengue fever
- Head Blows Without Concussion May Not Damage Brain, Study Claims
- US opioid use not declined, despite focus on abuse and awareness of risk
- Next-generation RNA sequencing technology sheds new light on human mitochondrial diseases
- UT Southwestern biochemist receives 2019 Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences for innate immunity discovery
- The immune system also plays a key role in day-to-day function of healthy organs
- New tool may reveal how the brain structure impacts brain activity, human behavior
- Trump Administration announces ‘Winning on Reducing Food Waste’ initiative
- For-profit nursing home residents more likely to experience health issues caused by substandard care
- Conceptual framework proposed to examine role of exercise in multiple sclerosis
- Near infrared spectroscopy technique for accurate evaluation of chondral injuries
- Scientists receive $5.1 million grant to develop stem cell-based therapy for blinding retinal conditions
- Shorter physician encounters associated with antibiotic prescribing
- In the Spotlight: Enjoying research and exploring opportunities
- Physical activity lowers cardiovascular mortality risk in frail older adults
- New imaging tool helps visualize how sound-induced vibrations travel through the ear
- Key insights into the application, production of bioactive materials
- New urea sorbent could speed up the development of wearable artificial kidney
- Intensive care patients’ muscles less able to use fats for energy
- FDA Advisory Committee Recommends Approval of Dsuvia for the Treatment of Moderate-to-Severe Acute Pain