A new study in mice suggests that consuming the chemical compounds found in thermally abused cooking oil may trigger genetic changes that promote the progression of late-stage breast cancer. Thermally abused frying oil – cooking oil that has been repeatedly reheated to high temperatures – may act as a toxicological trigger that promotes tumor cell […]Continue Reading ...
Fish oil does not appear to improve asthma control in adolescents and young adults with uncontrolled asthma who are overweight or obese, according to new research published online in the Annals of the American Thoracic Society. In “Fish Oil Supplementation in Overweight/Obese Patients with Uncontrolled Asthma: A Randomized Trial,” Jason E. Lang, MD, MPH, and […]Continue Reading ...
This undated photo provided by Amarin in November 2018 shows a capsule of the purified, prescription fish oil Vascepa. Although fish oil taken by healthy people, at a dose found in many supplements, showed no clear ability to lower heart or cancer risks, higher amounts of a purified, prescription fish oil, such as Vascepa, slashed […]Continue Reading ...
The new findings “will absolutely have the potential to change the way we practice,” said Dr. Nisha Jhalani of … Columbia University Irving Medical Center.Continue Reading ...
Oysters likely suffered toxic effects from the oil dispersant Corexit® 9500 when it was used to clean up the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill, said Morris Animal Foundation-funded researchers at the University of Connecticut. The team determined this by comparing the low levels of toxicity of oil, the dispersant and a mixture of the two […]Continue Reading ...
Fish oil supplements do not prevent heart attacks or strokes in patients with diabetes, according to late breaking results from the ASCEND trial presented today in a Hot Line Session at ESC Congress 2018 and published in the New England Journal of Medicine. In observational studies, higher consumption of fish is associated with lower risks […]Continue Reading ...
July 26, 2018 Engineers at Duke University have developed a way to manipulate, split and mix droplets of biological fluids by having them surf on acoustic waves in oil. The technology could form the basis of a small-scale, programmable, rewritable biomedical chip that is completely reusable for disparate purposes from on-site diagnostics to laboratory-based research. […]Continue Reading ...
Here are some of the latest health and medical news developments, compiled by the editors of HealthDay: Fake CBD Oil Sickens 52 People in Utah Up to 52 people in Utah have been made ill after consuming synthetic products falsely labeled as containing cannabidiol (CBD), the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in […]Continue Reading ...
Researchers at the Colorado School of Public Health have found a possible connection between the intensity of oil and gas exploration in an area and early indicators of cardiovascular disease among nearby residents. In a pilot study of 97 people in Fort Collins, Greeley and Windsor, the scientists found that those who lived in areas […]Continue Reading ...
A couple of clinical trials from Harvard researchers have shown that regular consumption of fish or fish oil supplements can reduce the risk of getting heart attacks significantly. Omega 3 fatty acids contained in fish oils have been known to benefit both people with a healthy heart as well as those with heart disease who […]Continue Reading ...
Researchers at the University of Georgia have found that a high-fat diet enriched with cottonseed oil drastically improved cholesterol profiles in young adult men. The researchers conducted a five-day outpatient feeding trial of 15 healthy, normal weight men to test the effects of diets enriched with cottonseed oil and olive oil on lipid profiles. Participants […]Continue Reading ...
WEDNESDAY, Sept. 5, 2018 — Taking fish oil supplements during pregnancy might translate into healthier growth in children during their first six years of life, a new study suggests. “This study highlights the fact that in utero exposure can have a profound effect on the fetus that lasts through childhood,” said Dr. Jennifer Wu, an […]Continue Reading ...
By Dr Ananya Mandal, MDAugust 22, 2018 In a 50 minute lecture, Dr Karin Michels Professor of Harvard’s TH Chan School of Public Health and director of the Institute for Prevention and Tumour Epidemiology at the University of Freiburg, has called coconut oil one of the “worst foods you can eat,” calling it “pure poison.” […]Continue Reading ...
FRIDAY, June 8, 2018 — Omega-3 fatty acids — good fats found in fish — can boost the heart health of adults, but a new study suggests that babies might also stand to benefit from them. In the study from Australia, infants were given a daily fish oil supplement or a placebo from birth to […]Continue Reading ...
April 19, 2018 Eating fatty fish increases the size and lipid composition of HDL particles in people with impaired glucose metabolism, according to a new study from the University of Eastern Finland. These changes in the size and lipid composition of HDL particles make them beneficial for cardiovascular health. Published in Molecular Nutrition & Food […]Continue Reading ...
- Tighter Blood Pressure Control May Prevent Brain Lesions
- A reward now or later? Exploring impulsivity in Parkinson’s disease patients
- Financial incentives fail to increase completion rates of colorectal cancer screening tests mailed to patients
- New research program launched to highlight sexual harassment in academia
- Hemoglobin A1c blood test does not detect diabetes in most patients, shows study
- Wyss Technology licensed by Sherlock Biosciences to create affordable molecular diagnostics
- DWK Life Sciences launches KIMBLE GLS 80 Media Bottle and Multiport Cap System
- New study aims to reduce online sexual exploitation of children
- Want healthier eating habits? Start with a workout
- New approach to prescribing antibiotics could curb resistance
- Theravance Biopharma Announces First Patient Dosed in Phase 2b/3 Study of TD-1473 in Patients with Ulcerative Colitis
- Prenatal DHA prevents blood-pressure increase from obesity during childhood
- Combined immunosuppression may be effective, safe in treating older patients with Crohn’s disease
- GSK sells health drinks arm, buys US cancer treatment firm
- Bacteria and innate immune factors in birth canal, cervix may be key to predicting preterm births
- IgG antibodies play unexpected role in atherosclerosis
- Sounds and vibrations are quite similar for the brain, finds new study
- Practices for Reducing COPD Hospital Readmissions Explored
- Could an eye doctor diagnose Alzheimer’s before you have symptoms?
- Enzyme inhibitor stops inflammation and neurodevelopmental disorders in mouse models