The experience of pain isn’t governed solely by incoming messages nerves send to the brain relaying that, say a finger has touched the hot stove. A variety of factors related to emotions and rewards, for example, weigh in on the final product — the painful sensation. And now, a study in JAMA Neurology has shown that indeed […]Continue Reading ...
July 2, 2018 With an exceptional research design, Freiburg scientists have solved a research question that has been debated for decades Brain regions that are involved in the articulation of language are also active in the perception of language. This finding of a team from the BrainLinks-BrainTools Cluster of Excellence of the University of Freiburg […]Continue Reading ...
Six novel chromosomal regions identified by scientists leading a large, prospective study of children at risk for type 1 diabetes will enable the discovery of more genes that cause the disease and more targets for treating or even preventing it.Pictured are: Drs. Jin-Xiong She (left) and Ashok Sharma Credit: Phil Jones, Senior Photographer, Augusta University […]Continue Reading ...
April 6, 2018 Researchers from Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine and colleagues have discovered how two brain regions work together to maintain attention, and how discordance between the regions could lead to attention deficit disorders, including schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression. People with attention deficits have difficulty focusing and often display compulsive […]Continue Reading ...
- Persistent Opioid Use High in Head, Neck Cancer Patients
- Questions to ask your doctor about post pregnancy care: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
- Neurons with good housekeeping are protected from Alzheimer’s
- Is mindfulness worthy of all the hype?
- Physical Activity, Any Type or Amount, Cuts Health Risk from Sitting
- New understanding in the evolution of human feet
- AHA: New Cholesterol Guidelines Put Ethnicity in the Spotlight
- Different brain areas linked to smoking and drinking
- Henry Marsh shares insights into neurosurgery and more at Dean’s Lecture Series
- Want to Live Longer? For Just 30 Minutes a Day, Do Anything Else But Sit
- The Current issue of “The view from here” is concerned with Targets
- Plain packaging sparked tobacco price rises, new study finds
- Sedentary lifestyles can be unhealthy, physical activity can lower risk
- Gut microbiome may help prevent development of cow’s milk allergy
- Lesbian, gay and bisexual individuals more likely to suffer severe substance use disorders
- New England Journal of Medicine Publishes Positive Results of the Pivotal Trial of Cablivi (caplacizumab) for Rare Blood Clotting Disorder
- Levels of inflammatory marker (CRP) linked to housing type and tenure
- Three gifts I’m glad I gave myself in 2018
- Columbia’s Pediatrics Department Names New Vice Chairs, Expands Leadership
- US FDA Accepts Regulatory Submissions for Review of Tafamidis to Treat Transthyretin Amyloid Cardiomyopathy