Researchers from Tokyo Metropolitan University and the FIRC Institute of Molecular Oncology (IFOM) in Italy have uncovered a previously unknown function of the DDX11 helicase enzyme. Mutations in the gene which codes for DDX11 are known to be implicated in Warsaw Breakage Syndrome. They showed that DDX11 plays an important role in DNA repair, and […]Continue Reading ...
August 3, 2018 A better understanding of the role secreted inflammatory cytokines play in the tumor microenvironment that results in the differentiation of effector T cells into exhausted T cells points to possible approaches to improve the antitumor activity of T cells and to intervene in T cell exhaustion. A new article exploring the expression […]Continue Reading ...
Assistant Professor Rutsuko Ito (left) and postdoctoral fellow Annett Schumacher in the Neurobiology of Learning and Motivation Lab at U of T Scarborough. Credit: U of T Scarborough The hippocampus is an area of the brain commonly linked with memory and dementia. But new U of T Scarborough research finds that it may also yield […]Continue Reading ...
April 17, 2018 A pleasant surprise or a nasty shock is likely to be a memorable experience. For instance, if you touch a hot oven, you very quickly learn not to do it again. Learning by trial-and-error, which can yield positive or negative consequences, is known as reinforcement learning. Individuals can learn new behaviors in […]Continue Reading ...
In the first study of its kind, researchers from the New York-based Human Microbiology Institute have discovered the role certain bacteriophages may play in the onset of Parkinson’s disease (PD). The research is presented at ASM Microbe, the annual meeting of the American Society for Microbiology, held from June 7th to June 11th in Atlanta, […]Continue Reading ...
April 20, 2018 Scientists at the University of Maryland School of Medicine have for the first time found direct causal links between the neurotransmitter dopamine and avoidance – behavior related to pain and fear. Researchers have long known that dopamine plays a key role in driving behavior related to pleasurable goals, such as food, sex […]Continue Reading ...
April 16, 2018 The hippocampus is an area of the brain commonly linked with memory and dementia. But new U of T Scarborough research finds that it may also yield important clues about a range of mental health illnesses including addiction, anxiety and depression. The research, authored by a team of neuroscientists, found that a […]Continue Reading ...
- Novel therapeutic strategy for blood vessel related disorders, such as cancer and retinopathy
- New naturally occurring antibiotic found effective against Mycobacterium tuberculosis
- First-in-human phase 0 study shows clinically-relevant activity of new drug in glioblastoma
- Removing tobacco product display from shops reduced number of children buying cigarettes
- Random fraction of specialized immune cells leads the charge in battling invaders
- Few minutes of sprinting exercise may be as effective as longer exercise sessions
- Researchers use neutrons to make first direct observations of water in lipid bilayers
- Researchers demonstrate pre-clinical success for universal flu vaccine in new paper
- Study reveals surprising gaps in some HIV medical providers’ knowledge of ACA
- Oxehealth secures European medical device accreditation for vital signs measurement software
- HTN Tx Intensification Common Upon Discharge in U.S. Vets
- Fibre can strengthen the intestinal barrier
- New platform examines infectious pathogens that may spread from animals to humans
- Demographers create detailed color map of population aging in Europe
- New type of fatty acid can slow down overreactive immune system
- Innovative procedure could provide breakthrough in treating early-stage lung cancer
- Research finds drop in number of measles cases in the EU/EEA since March 2018
- Researchers acquire new insights into DNA polymerases
- Alzheimer’s diagnosis might become simpler with new brain imaging method
- Reports Warn of Growing Opioid Crisis Among Seniors