Download PDF Vampire bats could hold the key to new treatments for a range of serious medical problems, but researchers have hit a snag accessing the specimens needed to advance their work. An international team led by The University of Queensland has found a new class of blood pressure-regulating peptides in the venom of the […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Promega UK, the Life Sciences Company based on the University of Southampton Science Park in Hampshire, is pleased to announce that it will be exhibiting at the Festival of Genomics in 2019. The festival attracts leading UK scientists with a focus on genomics; one of the key specialist areas for Promega. Promega will […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF MONDAY, Jan. 14, 2019 — Couples interventions have beneficial effects for partners of individuals with type 2 diabetes, according to a study recently published in Diabetic Medicine. Paula M. Trief, Ph.D., from SUNY Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, New York, and colleagues randomly assigned couples in which one partner had type 2 diabetes […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Each year, around the world, about 15 million babies are born prematurely, arriving three or more weeks early and facing a wide variety of health problems. In most cases, doctors don’t know why a pregnancy has ended early. But thanks to the industrious work of Stanford’s top obstetricians, neonatologists, geneticists, microbiologists, immunologists, epidemiologists, […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF The federal Food and Drug Administration has approved a new, scalpel-free treatment for tremor in patients with medication-resistant Parkinson’s disease. The procedure, called focused ultrasound, allows doctors to perform brain surgery without cutting into the skull. It was shown safe and effective for reducing medication-resistant Parkinson’s tremor in clinical trials led by neurosurgeon […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Our body’s cells are constantly changing. But which of these changes are healthy developments and which lead to serious diseases? This is what LifeTime, a new transnational and interdisciplinary initiative of leading European researchers, aims to discover. The consortium is jointly coordinated by the Max Delbrück Center in Berlin and the Institut Curie […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Drinking bone broth is a recent diet fad that proponents claim fights inflammation, eases joint pain and promotes gut health. Simmering animal bones in water release collagen and other proteins into the broth that may have health benefits, although more research is needed to validate these claims. Now, a new study in ACS’ […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Cobra Biologics (Cobra), an international CDMO for biologics and pharmaceuticals, today announced the appointment of Dr. Darrell Sleep as Director of Innovation. The appointment is part of on-going strategic expansion activities currently underway at Cobra’s Keele site, to increase capacity and capability for both the clinical and commercial in-market supply of viral vector […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Scientists have pinpointed cells in the immune system that could be key to tackling high blood pressure. The findings also shed light on current medications that could increase risk of the disorder, which affects more than 12 million people in the UK. High blood pressure – or hypertension – is a leading cause […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF People with lifetime obesity like Mr. A are at a much higher risk of heart failure than the newly obese at an older age like Mr. B. Obesity at any age can raise heart failure risk though. For every five-point increase in BMI, a person’s heart failure risk increases by 34 percent. Credit: […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF A new Northwestern Medicine study was able to successfully predict if a new mother would experience worsening depressive symptoms over the first year after giving birth by identifying four maternal characteristics that put her at risk. Identifying these factors early in the postpartum period will allow mothers to seek treatment earlier and improve […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF With a little help from HBO’s “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” University of California, Irvine neurobiologists have uncovered a key component of how the human brain marks time. Using high-powered functional MRI on college students watching the popular TV show, they were able to capture the processes by which the brain stores information related to […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF To help physicians decrease the number of deaths resulting from traumatic brain injuries, Chandan Reddy, associate professor in the Department of Computer Science and faculty at the Discovery Analytics Center, will use new machine learning techniques for computational models to predict short- and long-term outcomes, categorize traumatic brain injury patients, and provide interventions […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF Scientists from Umeå university have shown how the yeast Candida albicans can modulate and adapt to low oxygen levels in different body niches to cause infection and to harm the host. Studying adaption to hypoxic or anoxic niches is particularly fruitful, since it helps us to understand the pathogenicity of C. albicans and […]Continue Reading ...
Download PDF A cellular protein that interacts with invading viruses appears to help enable the infection process of the Zika virus, according to an international team of researchers who suggest this protein could be a key target in developing new therapies to prevent or treat Zika virus infection. Scientists first isolated Zika, a member of […]Continue Reading ...
- Researchers find new class of blood pressure-regulating peptides in vampire bat venom
- Promega to exhibit new Maxwell RSC48 platform at 2019 Festival of Genomics
- Study pinpoints immune cells that could be key to tackling hypertension
- Couples Intervention May Aid Partners of Diabetes Patients
- Your weight history may predict your heart failure risk
- Explore a cornucopia of accomplishments in prematurity research
- New study identifies four characteristics that predict severity of postpartum depression
- New, scalpel-free treatment for reducing Parkinson’s tremor gets FDA approval
- Neurobiologists uncover key component of how the human brain marks time
- LifeTime receives fund to develop a plan to embed its vision for healthier future
- New NSF funded study may help physicians decrease brain injury deaths
- Ham bones contain peptides that could have cardioprotective effects
- Research finds how Candida albicans adapt to low oxygen levels to cause infection
- Cobra Biologics announces appointment of Dr Darrell Sleep as Director of Innovation
- Cellular protein that interacts with viruses appears to enable infection process of Zika virus
- Opioids Now More Deadly for Americans Than Traffic Accidents
- Women who start periods early are at greater risk of cardiovascular problems
- The brain-circuitry clash that keeps you from diving into that plate of ribs when you’re dining with royalty
- Poo transplant can successfully treat patients with ulcerative colitis
- Study suggests key role for glial cells in Parkinson’s disease