A UniSA scientist has called for Australia to embrace pharmacogenetic (PGx) testing to deliver medication more effectively and slash around $2.4 billion wasted each year through unsafe and ineffective drug prescriptions. Dr Vijay Suppiah, a senior lecturer in pharmacy at UniSA, says PGx testing – mapping a person’s genetic makeup – is the most effective […]Continue Reading ...
The World Health Organization (WHO) has confirmed that Australia has managed to eliminate the viral infection rubella from its population. This is a significant achievement on part of the country’s healthcare system. WHO defines elimination of a disease as “reduction to zero of the incidence of infection caused by a specific agent in a defined […]Continue Reading ...
By Dr Ananya Mandal, MDApril 23, 2018 According to a new study more and more young Australians are needing knee reconstruction surgeries that have risen by more than 70 per cent in the last 15 years. The new study was published today in the journal Medical Journal of Australia. Taping for ACL tear. Image Credit: […]Continue Reading ...
An American who describes himself because the “global’s #1 anti-vaxxer” has been barred from getting into Australia, officers mentioned Thursday, in an extra crackdown at the anti-immunisation motion after outbreaks of preventable illnesses. Kent Heckenlively had defined plans to go back and forth to Australia in December as a part of a “Bad Science” excursion […]Continue Reading ...
Hovering heating prices imply many prone Australians undergo chilly properties and the related dangers to their fitness. Credit score: Paul Vasarhelyi from www.shutterstock.com A pervasive fable in Australia is that sizzling climate is the best risk to our fitness. In truth, it is much more likely chilly climate will kill you. For all our fear […]Continue Reading ...
July 10, 2017 An interview with Sue MacLeman, CEO MTPConnect, carried out by way of April Cashin-Garbutt, MA (Cantab) Are you able to please give an outline of Australia’s Medtech, Biotech and Prescription drugs (MTP) sector? Australia is an stated international chief within the clinical generation, biotechnology and pharmaceutical (MTP) sector because of its colourful […]Continue Reading ...
May 2, 2018 A new research hub is set to transform Australia’s medical technology sector by developing cost-competitive technologies for the rapid production of medical devices. Researchers are working to create medical devices. Researchers from The University of Queensland’s Faculty of Engineering, Architecture and Information Technology have teamed up with experts from industry, government and […]Continue Reading ...
April 16, 2018 In an Australian first, Cancer Australia today launched a Framework to improve the outcomes and experiences of people affected by lung cancer – the leading cause of cancer death in Australia. The Lung Cancer Framework: Principles for Best Practice Lung Cancer Care in Australia was unveiled at a Summit held in Sydney […]Continue Reading ...
Vaccines are some of the biggest public well being achievements in historical past. Credit score: shutterstock.com Ahead of vaccines have been evolved, infectious sicknesses equivalent to diphtheria, tetanus and meningitis have been the main explanation for dying and sickness on this planet. Vaccines are some of the biggest public well being achievements in historical past, […]Continue Reading ...
July 10, 2017 An interview with Sue MacLeman, CEO MTPConnect, performed by way of April Cashin-Garbutt, MA (Cantab) Are you able to please give an summary of Australia’s Medtech, Biotech and Prescribed drugs (MTP) sector? Australia is an said international chief within the clinical era, biotechnology and pharmaceutical (MTP) sector because of its colourful ecosystem […]Continue Reading ...
Meth used to be essentially the most regularly ate up illicit drug examined throughout all Australian areas. Credit score: College of Queensland A prime use of methylamphetamine and prescription medicines is an issue for regional Australia, in line with an Australian Felony Intelligence Fee (ACIC) document designed to struggle illicit medication. The Queensland Alliance for […]Continue Reading ...
- Researchers find new class of blood pressure-regulating peptides in vampire bat venom
- Promega to exhibit new Maxwell RSC48 platform at 2019 Festival of Genomics
- Study pinpoints immune cells that could be key to tackling hypertension
- Couples Intervention May Aid Partners of Diabetes Patients
- Your weight history may predict your heart failure risk
- Explore a cornucopia of accomplishments in prematurity research
- New study identifies four characteristics that predict severity of postpartum depression
- New, scalpel-free treatment for reducing Parkinson’s tremor gets FDA approval
- Neurobiologists uncover key component of how the human brain marks time
- LifeTime receives fund to develop a plan to embed its vision for healthier future
- New NSF funded study may help physicians decrease brain injury deaths
- Ham bones contain peptides that could have cardioprotective effects
- Research finds how Candida albicans adapt to low oxygen levels to cause infection
- Cobra Biologics announces appointment of Dr Darrell Sleep as Director of Innovation
- Cellular protein that interacts with viruses appears to enable infection process of Zika virus
- Opioids Now More Deadly for Americans Than Traffic Accidents
- Women who start periods early are at greater risk of cardiovascular problems
- The brain-circuitry clash that keeps you from diving into that plate of ribs when you’re dining with royalty
- Poo transplant can successfully treat patients with ulcerative colitis
- Study suggests key role for glial cells in Parkinson’s disease