One of the outstanding questions in neurodevelopment research has been identifying how connections in the brain change to improve neural function during childhood and adolescence. Now, results from a study in rats just reported by neuroscientists Heather Richardson, Geng-Lin Li and colleagues at the University of Massachusetts Amherst suggest that as animals transition into adolescence, […]Continue Reading ...
Aug 29 2018 A study led by Ecole polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne in Switzerland has shed light on the biological mechanisms needed for nerve fibers to regenerate in spinal cord injury. Image Credit: Vshivkova / Shutterstock Using rat and mouse models of spinal cord injury, the researchers identified three components to the regeneration of axons […]Continue Reading ...
July 12, 2018 A team of bioengineers at UC San Diego has answered a question that has long puzzled neuroscientists, and may hold a key to better understanding the complexities of neurological disorders: Why are axons, the spindly arms extending from neurons that transmit information from neuron to neuron in the brain, designed the way […]Continue Reading ...
March 24, 2017 In lots of neurodegenerative stipulations — Parkinson’s illness, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and peripheral neuropathy amongst them — an early defect is the lack of axons, the wiring of the worried machine. When axons are misplaced, nerve cells can not keep up a correspondence as they must, and worried machine serve as […]Continue Reading ...
April 21, 2017 FINDINGS New examine by means of scientists on the Eli and Edythe Vast Heart of Regenerative Medication and Stem Mobile Analysis at UCLA overturns a long-standing paradigm about how axons — thread-like projections that attach cells within the fearful formula — develop all over embryonic building. The findings of the learn, led […]Continue Reading ...
Neuroscientists at UCLA, Harvard University and the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology have identified a three-pronged treatment that triggers axons – the tiny fibers that link our nerve cells and enable them to communicate – to regrow after complete spinal cord injury in rodents. Not only did the axons grow through scars, they could also […]Continue Reading ...
July 14, 2017 Scientists within the Vollum Institute at OHSU have known an enzyme that performs a the most important position within the degeneration of axons, the threadlike parts of a nerve mobile that transmit indicators inside the anxious device. Axon loss happens in all neurodegenerative sicknesses, so this discovery may open new pathways to […]Continue Reading ...
July 14, 2017 Scientists within the Vollum Institute at OHSU have recognized an enzyme that performs a a very powerful position within the degeneration of axons, the threadlike parts of a nerve mobile that transmit indicators throughout the anxious device. Axon loss happens in all neurodegenerative sicknesses, so this discovery may open new pathways to […]Continue Reading ...
- Researchers to develop sports-specific classification system for blind football
- Preschool children show awake responses to naptime nonsense words
- Survey shows negative effect of vulvovaginal atrophy symptoms on quality of life for women
- Study sheds light on mechanisms that prevent autoimmune attack
- Sleep quality found to be worse for women who undergo surgical menopause
- New study provides deeper insight into chromosome segregation during mitosis
- Appendix removal is linked to lower risk of Parkinson’s
- Lifting weights for less than an hour a week may reduce cardiovascular disease risk
- Pulmonary rehabilitation rarely received by hospitalized COPD patients despite health benefits
- New anti-HER2 drug shows promising anti-tumor activity in gullet, stomach and bowel cancers
- Regular head circumference assessment of preterm babies can help identify long-term IQ problems
- Brigham investigators examine opioid use among Massachusetts adolescents, prescription trends
- Study defines biomarker in response to treatment of castration-resistant prostate cancer
- Study identifies potential therapeutic strategy for patients with clear cell renal cancer
- Bausch Health Announces U.S. Launch of Bryhali (halobetasol propionate) Lotion, 0.01%, for Plaque Psoriasis In Adults
- Alpha Fetoprotein (AFP) Tumor Marker Test: MedlinePlus Lab Test Information
- Researchers evaluate controversial treatment for Parkinson’s disease psychosis
- AI could help veterinarians code their notes
- Pre-schoolers with autism thrive in mainstream classroom settings
- Individual and work-related factors may help promote hospital physician engagement, finds study