Sedentary behavior such as sitting or lying down for long periods not only increase the risk for various diseases and premature death; they also cost the NHS at least £700m per year, according to new research from Queen’s University Belfast. Flotsam | Shutterstock Leonie Heron and colleagues say that as well as sedentary behavior causing […]Continue Reading ...
Researchers at Queen’s have found that spending large amounts of time sitting or lounging around during the day is linked to around 70,000 deaths per year in the UK. This amounts to more than £0.7bn per year in costs to the NHS for treating the health consequences. A large proportion of the UK population have […]Continue Reading ...
WEDNESDAY, Jan. 16, 2019 — Replacing prolonged sedentary bouts with physical activity reduces mortality risk, but no benefit is seen for replacement with short sedentary bouts, according to a study recently published in the American Journal of Epidemiology. Keith M. Diaz, Ph.D., from the Columbia University Medical Center in New York City, and colleagues evaluated […]Continue Reading ...
A recent pilot study by kinesiologists at the University of Massachusetts Amherst found that pedaling while conducting work tasks improved insulin responses to a test meal. Investigators led by Dr. Stuart Chipkin found that insulin levels following the meal were lower when sedentary workers used a pedal desk compared to a standard desk. In addition, […]Continue Reading ...
FRIDAY, April 13, 2018 (American Heart Association) — Hanging out with friends can make kids less sedentary, but having inviting outdoor spaces and nearby parks can help them be more physically active, according to new research. Both are important for kids’ health, said Tracie Barnett, lead author of a study based on data mined from […]Continue Reading ...
September 12, 2017 A brand new find out about reveals that it is not simply the period of time spent sitting, but additionally the best way through which sitting time is accrued all through the day, that may impact possibility of early demise. The find out about, printed on-line nowadays in Annals of Inside Drugs, […]Continue Reading ...
August 30, 2017 Finnish researchers carried out some of the biggest and longest research to determine whether it is conceivable to cut back sedentary time and if the aid will lead to any well being advantages all through 12 months. A adapted counseling helped busy place of work staff with small children to lower their […]Continue Reading ...
UBC researcher Sanjoy Ghosh connects commonplace fat to a lazy way of life and diabetes. Credit score: UBC Okanagan A UBC researcher is suggesting the kinds of cooking oils folks eat is also sabotaging their efforts to stick wholesome and steer clear of diseases comparable to diabetes. Sanjoy Ghosh, a Michael Smith Well being Analysis […]Continue Reading ...
Atlas Award-winning study in Journal of Affective Disorders shows link between depression and sedentary behavior is strongest in cities Getting people involved in community activities like playing games and social events could be a low-cost way to tackle depression in the developing world, according to a study in the Journal of Affective Disorders. Sedentary behavior […]Continue Reading ...
The common routine of sitting at work all day, then plopping down on the couch all evening horrify experts like Keith Diaz, an assistant professor of behavioral medicine at Columbia University.Continue Reading ...
THURSDAY, Aug. 9, 2018 — The American Heart Association (AHA) is concerned about the impact screen time is having on sedentary behavior in children and teens, according to a scientific statement published online Aug. 6 in Circulation. Tracie A. Barnett, Ph.D., chair of the AHA Obesity Committee, and colleagues provided an updated perspective on sedentary […]Continue Reading ...
September 12, 2017 A brand new find out about reveals that it is not simply the period of time spent sitting, but additionally the best way wherein sitting time is gathered all the way through the day, that may impact possibility of early loss of life. The find out about, printed on-line these days in […]Continue Reading ...
September 12, 2017 A brand new find out about unearths that it’s not simply the period of time spent sitting, but additionally the way in which by which sitting time is accrued throughout the day, that may have an effect on possibility of early loss of life. The find out about, printed on-line as of […]Continue Reading ...
April 12, 2017 A UBC researcher is suggesting the varieties of cooking oils folks devour could also be sabotaging their efforts to stick wholesome and keep away from diseases corresponding to diabetes. Sanjoy Ghosh, a Michael Smith Well being Analysis Basis Pupil and a professor at UBC’s Okanagan campus, has lately printed analysis that concludes […]Continue Reading ...
April 12, 2017 at 11:40 AM A UBC researcher is suggesting the kinds of cooking oils other people eat is also sabotaging their efforts to stick wholesome and keep away from sicknesses akin to diabetes. Sanjoy Ghosh, a Michael Smith Well being Analysis Basis Student and a professor at UBC’s Okanagan campus, has not too […]Continue Reading ...
- Smart assistants could help combat opioid crisis
- Diagnostic stewardship strategy reduces inappropriate testing
- Three-antibiotic cocktail eradicates ‘persister’ Lyme bacteria in mouse model
- Study investigates how early blindness shapes sound processing
- Outcomes Worse for Cancer Patients Seen at Noncancer EDs
- Link found between temperament of high-risk infants and obesity
- Al Letson explores ties between journalists and doctors at Medicine and the Muse symposium
- New mobile phone game can detect people at risk of Alzheimer’s
- Exercise activates brain circuits associated with memory in older adults
- Veggies, Fruits and Grains Keep Your Heart Pumping
- Healthy meal kits can boost children’s long-term health
- Designing an inexpensive surgical headlight: A Q&A with a Stanford surgeon
- States Weigh Banning A Widely Used Pesticide Even Though EPA Won’t
- Integrator complex proteins are crucial for healthy brain development in fruit flies, study finds
- Device converts brain signals into speech, offering hope for patients
- Measles vaccination rates are a ‘public health time bomb’
- Maths made easier for scientists students who shun the subject wins award
- Researchers decode how cancer drug works in brains of Parkinson’s disease patients
- Smarter Brain Cancer Trial Comes to Columbia
- Researchers Seek Sage Advice Of Elders On Aging Issues